GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orthenex (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/182347-orthenex.html)

Chris Savas 05-04-2009 08:55 PM

Orthenex

Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. I have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. I have looked in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100 plants)? I have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. I have used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove not from the address to respond directly.)

..

K Barrett 05-04-2009 10:32 PM

Orthenex

On Apr 5, 12:55*pm, (Chris Savas) wrote:
Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. *I have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. *I have looked in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100 plants)? I have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. * I have used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove * not *from the address to respond directly.)

.

There is a Bayer product with imiploprid as well as a systemic

K Barrett

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 06-04-2009 12:43 AM

Orthenex

Chris,

FWIW, I used to use Orthenex. It worked, but not nearly as well as Orthene.
With the former, I'd find that the time of control before return of critters
was a couple of months. So I was treating fairly often. With Orthene I spray
probably twice a year (a double spray each time) and all is well. For
isolated stuff I can always use a canned spray or alcohol. You might need to
order the Orthene if you don't have a supply vendor nearby, but IMO it's
worth it.

Now, if someone could tell me what to do about my gardenias, which are thrip
magnets, then I'd be home free altogether. I've used the same treatments on
them and have also tried the Bayer product. The bugs just keep coming. If it
weren't for a sentimental attachment they'd be ripped out by now. And they
may yet get trashed.

Diana

Geoff[_8_] 06-04-2009 01:44 PM

Orthenex

Hi Chris,
I would suggest Merit Systemic Insecticide, wettable powder. It is a
bit pricey, about $50 for a 2 ounce bottle, but you only need to use
it once or twice a year. I used it twice one year and have not been
bothered with scale since. That was 3 years ago. In fact the produce
states not to use it more that 2 to 3 times a year. It takes about 3
months for the product to be distributed throughout the plant, so if
you don't see results right away just be patient.

Geoff
Austin, TX

wendy7 06-04-2009 04:59 PM

Orthenex

Is that the Orthene for shrubs & trees? What do I look for? Is it a
systemic in
powder form?
Cheers Wendy

.. .

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 06-04-2009 07:46 PM

Orthenex

Hi, Wendy,

Yes, turf, tree and ornamentals. It is systemic, but seems to have some
residual topical effects too. It's water soluble.

I did a little checking. Apparently, last year the Orthene product line was
sold by Valent to American Vanguard. Both are based in CA. Here's a link to
the label info:

http://www.american-vanguard.com/med...n_06-24-08.pdf

I swear by it. You can find plenty of outlets for it with a quick Google
search. Many of the supply vendors in this area carry it.

Diana

Chris Savas 07-04-2009 12:12 AM

Orthenex

In article om, (Chris Savas) wrote:
Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. I have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. I have looked in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100 plants)? I have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. I have used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove not from the address to respond directly.)

..

Hi, again,

Today, I went to two hardware stores in search of Orthenex. At the first
place, I found a similar product mfg'd by the Ortho Group. I then went to the
second store and found the same 'new' item, but at $2 less than at the first
place for a 16-oz bottle (liquid). The recommended dosage is the same for both
the Orthenex and this 'new' item. For comparison, I have included the
ingredients of the Orthenex and of the 'new' product.

Orthenex Ortho
Systemic Protection from Systemic Insect Killer Controls
Insects, Diseases, Mites Insects & Mites

Active Ingredients Active Ingredients

Acephate 4.00% Acephate 8.00%
Triforine 3.25 - -
Fenbutatin-oxide 0.75 Fenbutatin-oxide 0.5
(Hexakis) (Hexakis)
Other Ingredients 92.00 Other Ingredients 91.50

Unless anyone can say why I shouldn't use this product, I
think I will try it. I don't know what Triforine was suppose to do or why it
no longer is included.

Chris

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 07-04-2009 02:21 AM

Orthenex

"Chris Savas" wrote in message
ng.com...
In article om,
(Chris Savas) wrote:
[...]

I can't see why you couldn't use it, Chris. It appears to be more potent
than the older product. But reading the specs makes me understand why
Orthene is so much more effective. The percentage of acephate in Orthene is
huge compared to these other insecticides. I don't have any Orthenex around
so couldn't compare the labels before writing. Now I'm more convinced than
ever that Orthene is the way to go.

Diana

tenman 07-04-2009 04:21 AM

Orthenex

Chris Savas wrote:
[...]

Triforine is an antifungal. The 'other ingredients' would be mostly
petroleum distillates which means don't spray unless the plants are
going to be completely dry before the sun hits them or they'll burn like
under a magnifying glass.

Ray B[_2_] 07-04-2009 10:23 AM

Orthenex

Right on, Tennis.

Orthenex is a combo deal - insecticide, miticide, fungicide - while orthene
is just the insecticide (the active one in Orthenex - acephate). While
Orthenex may have the "advantage" of being a broad-spectrum pesticide, I
usually recommend the Orthene instead, as it's 1) far more bang for the buck
from a bug-killing perspective (70% acephate & higher are commonly
available, as opposed to the 4% in the original Orthenex), and 2) water
soluble, so there is no need for the potentially-damaging hydrocarbons used
to keep the other ingredients of Orthenex in liquid form.

I also highly recommend the use of Enstar II, and insect growth regulator.
While stuff like Merit and Orthene kill on contact or with a temporary
residual systemic action, the IGR prevents all stages of the insect from
maturing, thereby preventing reproduction, which can really help collapse a
population.

"tenman" wrote in message

Chris Savas 07-04-2009 11:50 PM

Orthenex

In article om, (Chris Savas) wrote:
Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. I have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. I have looked in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100 plants)? I have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. I have used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove not from the address to respond directly.)

..

Thanks to all of your comments. I learned a lot.

Chris

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 08-04-2009 12:54 AM

Orthenex

Like Chris, I learned too. Thanks for the continued props for Enstar, Ray.
Though I don't have constant problems with our orchids, I think I might be
able to use that product to knock out the nasties that infest my gardenias
once and for all. And then the source would be gone altogether.

Can I mix it with Orthene? Or should it be used alone? I'm going to order
it.

Diana

"Ray B" wrote in message
[...]

"tenman" wrote in message

Ray B[_2_] 08-04-2009 10:40 AM

Orthenex

I definitely mix them. In fact, I have been known to mix Enstar, Merit, and
Orthene when dealing with a bad infestation.

I seem to recall that Enstar (that "S" really ought to be a dollar sign) was
least expensive at some rose-related online store, but it's not cheap
anywhere.

"Ray B" wrote in message
[...]

"tenman" wrote in message

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 08-04-2009 08:45 PM

Orthenex

I recall pricing it once some years ago. It was very $$$$. But the label
information that I read while Googling this time tells me that you only use
a miniscule amount. Maybe I'll split a bottle with someone, when I find it.

Diana

"Ray B" wrote in message
[...]

"tenman" wrote in message