GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   orchids in literature (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/182626-orchids-literature.html)

janet 14-04-2009 09:31 PM

orchids in literature

I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature (or song or the movies) would be neat. However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. Google was not any help to me. Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet

[email protected] 14-04-2009 10:23 PM

orchids in literature

michelle wan's novels:

deadly slipper

the orchid shroud

a twist of orchids (out in may)

and of course the orchid thief and.... and...., you know, mary
motes's book. :)

orchid thief was turned into the movie 'adaptation.' (--which ended
up having very little to do with the book; i suspect alcohol was
involved.)

--j_a

K Barrett 16-04-2009 05:33 AM

orchids in literature

They are in the backgrounds of just about every Star Trek Next Generation
episode that features someone's apartment onboard ship. Or elsewhere for
that matter.

K Barrett

janet 17-04-2009 02:47 PM

orchids in literature

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for--not books
about orchids, but books or movies about something else in which
orchids play some kind of role. Also found a Nancy Drew mystery about
orchids.

Janet

[email protected] 19-04-2009 01:46 AM

orchids in literature

yes, the running theme in the wan novels is an unknown cyp that one
of the protagonists is always madly looking for; it plays a
substantial part in the plot of each book. i like 'em. :) the motes
book is more a tongue in cheek look at the industry in south FL, and
the orchid thief is pretty much about dendrophylax lindenii; i think
it's considered non fiction though. but also a good book.

--j_a

clareinolywa 19-04-2009 05:42 PM

orchids in literature

On Apr 14, 1:31*pm, janet wrote:
I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature *(or song or the movies) would be neat. *However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. *Google was not any help to me. *Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet

Don't forget the wrestler Gorgeous George, The Wild Orchid.
Also check out IMDB for movie listings. Just plug in orchid.
And a big hello to my old Orchid Safari friends.
Clareinla

K Barrett 20-04-2009 02:58 AM

orchids in literature

"clareinolywa" wrote in message
On Apr 14, 1:31 pm, janet wrote:
I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature (or song or the movies) would be neat. However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. Google was not any help to me. Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet

Don't forget the wrestler Gorgeous George, The Wild Orchid.
Also check out IMDB for movie listings. Just plug in orchid.
And a big hello to my old Orchid Safari friends.
Clareinla
-----
What are you growing these days Clare? Masds?

K Barrett
wishing I could grow masds.

janet 29-04-2009 11:59 AM

orchids in literature

On Apr 19, 12:42*pm, clareinolywa wrote:
On Apr 14, 1:31*pm, janet wrote:

I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature *(or song or the movies) would be neat. *However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. *Google was not any help to me. *Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet

Don't forget the wrestler Gorgeous George, The Wild Orchid.
Also check out IMDB for movie listings. Just plug in orchid.
And a big hello to my old Orchid Safari friends.
Clareinla

Thanks Clareinia. Exactly the kinds of leads I'm looking for.

Janet