Old 17-04-2009, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default wood in potting medium

Orchids are becoming so plentiful and mainstream that we now see
a big variety of high quality orchids for sale in places like
Homebase (this is in England, it's similar to Home Depot in Canada).
The other day they had Vandas... They also have some orchid supplies.
Some months ago I bought a 10 L bag of 'orchid compost' produced by
the
Irish company Westland. It was darmatically cheaper than the bark mix
using before. When I opened it, it looked like mostly bark and really
too
fine for what I wanted (largish phals), but I tried it anyway and it
worked well.

I have just bought a second outwardly identical bag and the material
looks
quite different. There seems to be a lot of shredded wood in the mix.
Does anyone have any experience with wood fibre as a potting
material?

LEo