Old 23-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Robert Dickow

Default Thorns on Cycnoches

I recently purchases a Cycnoches haagii. It has been dormant, but looking
at it today I had these funny feeling it might really be a Catasetum of
some kind. I say this because the bulbs have the spiny tips from the fallen
leaves, something I see on all my Catasetums, but not my Cycnoches. Also,
the previous flower spikes are from the very base... a Catasetum trait.

Any thoughts?

--
***********************************
* Bob Dickow ) *
Old 23-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Claudio Rossi

I suspect that you are right in your assumption. Also the pseudobulbs
on Cycnoches species tend to be quite elongated, whereas those on
Catasetums are chunkier with a more abrupt tip. In my experience I've
only seen them bloom from the top 1/3 of the pseudobulb. One of my
haagii's is in bloom now, and although it is a young plant the blooming
pseudobulb is, at most, 1 inch thick and about 8 inches in length. When
it blooms, post a picture and maybe we can help identify it for certain.
This is a great group of plants to grow, and who knows, it may turn out
to be something really nifty !
Cheers,
Claudio Rossi
Cloud's Orchids
http://home.ica.net/~birch

Robert Dickow wrote:

I recently purchases a Cycnoches haagii. It has been dormant, but looking
at it today I had these funny feeling it might really be a Catasetum of
some kind. I say this because the bulbs have the spiny tips from the fallen
leaves, something I see on all my Catasetums, but not my Cycnoches. Also,
the previous flower spikes are from the very base... a Catasetum trait.

Any thoughts?

--
* Bob Dickow ) *
* Hampton School of Music *

Cycnoches herrenhusanum x 2 P Max Orchid Photos 0 15-05-2007 12:32 PM
Cycnoches warszewiczii 'Giant Swan' - amazing chartreuse green alien flower Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 4 22-01-2007 10:32 PM
Cycnoches Jean E. Monnier awards? Gene Schurg Orchids 2 23-08-2005 02:36 AM
Cycnoches lehmanii GrlIntrpted Orchids 4 07-05-2004 10:04 PM
Cycnoches & Catasetum Culture Gene Schurg Orchids 10 04-07-2003 05:32 AM