Old 30-04-2009, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default more AOS gloom

Maybe events like Homestead is the way to go, rather than a show per se.

K Barrett

I am not sure if this comment was meant for me or the AOS. If you were
talking AOS I think you are on to something. The annual combined gates of
the shows I do is between 1 and 1.5 million people. At most of the shows
the local society will have a booth introducing themselves and the AOS. Up
until a few years ago I used the AOS leaflet that included care instructions
and an AOS application as care sheets. I handed out an AOS application with
every plant sold and to every by passer with general orchid questions. I
have handed out boxes and boxes of AOS applications. I have no idea how
many new members I have sent to the AOS. With the flower shows gone so went
this easy access to the flower loving general public. But after reading the
letter that started this thread it seems to me that if you can only hold new
members for two years this might not be to people the AOS currently needs.

What the AOS currently needs is to get back the true orchid junkie, you know
the ones that will drive hours and then pay for the right to buy plants, you
know the type, the ones that go to Redlands. I do not know the Redland gate
but I would bet the number is at least 8 thousand (compared to an AOS
membership of 16 thousand). Maybe the AOS needs to hold a Redlands type
event on it grounds. Vendors are required to be AOS members. How can you
bitch about a $60 membership if you make that money at an AOS hosted event.
Makes the first day of sales an AOS day open only to AOS members. During
the AOS day have a short AOS townhall meeting. I expect the input from the
town meeting to be very different then that from a trustee meeting. It
would be nice to have speakers during the event. Well the experts are there
as vendors, give vendors who give talks a discount on their sales area. One
rule while the event is getting off the ground, no AOS judging. No
displays, no blue ribbons, no awards; just lots of great plants for sale.
This is an AOS event that has nothing to do with the AOS judging program.
If the event is a success, the AOS can consider hosting these events in
other parts of the country. Money maker, outreach, and vendor arm twisting,
sounds good to me.

Pat

Old 30-04-2009, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

That's what I'm talkin' about! Sounds good to me too.

N Calif has a much smaller venue called 'Orchid in the Park', held in
October in Golden Gate Park. There's a minor show area in the center of the
sale just showing plants that make you drool and want to check out the
vendor's booth to see if they have that plant for sale. But no judging, no
other displays. no ribbons. Nothing but plant sales.

I have wanted to go to Redlands ever since they started it 6-7 years ago. I
have either the time and no money or money and no time. Speaking as an
addict I think what draws me is the idea of the international vendors
bringing in stuff that you'd never see otherwise, like the Madagascan or
Malaysian vendors.

We are trying a Speaker's Day this August. Sales, Speakers, some AOS
judging since the center is sponsoring this. I'm hoping the combo of
education and sales will carry the day and bring out the orchid addict.

K Barrett

Old 30-04-2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
pricey. i only have a membership now cuz i get it for my birthday.

if i remember correctly, the report said that the trend seems to be
for people to join for a couple years, then lapse. i did that too--
after a while, the articles seemed repetitive, and they weren't all
that helpful anymore as i was no longer a totally novice grower. on
one of their surveys i suggested they bring back at least a few more
advanced articles, and they seem to have done that. the magazine
seems more balanced to me now.

and the subject line was me being tongue-in-cheek. ;-)

--j_a

Ya know, I disagree that its pricey. Everyone else charges the same for
less. Orchid Digest charges $60 for 6 magazines filled with features I pay
no attention to whatsoever, like Koopowitz's Auntie Maude orchid history or
the 3-D picture. Really, am I going to go get a pair of 3-D glasses just so
I can look at a flower? I joined the IPA, their journal had few articles
of interest and mainly revolves around shows in Taiwan, which I'll never
see. I subscribed to Australian Orchid Review, that one was OK but again,
costs about the same as the AOS plus international postage. All in all the
AOS mag has a better well-rounded group of articles that may not appeal one
month but over time give educational value. Their back issues are priceless
if you ever have a chance to get them plus the index you'll be in orchid
heaven.

K Barrett

Old 30-04-2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OD is $34 for a year..... i've found a lot of their articles to be
more technical than the AOS bull, but either i'm getting more
knowledgeable, or they're getting a little more mainstream, as i find
them easier to get thru now. (and i LOVE the 3d thing--but then, i
can do it naked-eyed; tougher with the bifocals.)

either way, i read both mags cover to cover, so i guess i'm getting my
gifts' worth.

"The Miami show this year was a bust. Maybe because attendees had to shell

out a total of $25 before walking in the door? Ya think? Many vendors
have
said they will not return to Miami next year."

--eGADS that's a lot--was there anything else going on besides the
show/sale? i paid $50 for a day at the WOC, but it also got me two or
three lectures as well as the rest of the stuff...

--j_a

Old 30-04-2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

--eGADS that's a lot--was there anything else going on besides the
show/sale? i paid $50 for a day at the WOC, but it also got me two or
three lectures as well as the rest of the stuff...

--j_a

AFAIK, that was all. Parking was $10 and admission was $15. The WOC was an
entirely different story. For most people, the WOC was a once in a lifetime
opportunity. Miami pales in comparison.

Diana

Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have been bad...lost contact with this thread...but will join...$60 on he
way!

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Publicity has been an issue, IMO. Until recently, the AOS acted like a
secret society. That is no longer the case. Do join. There are lots of
reasons to do so, not the least of which is the judging program. This
board has a fair number of judges who post regularly. Without the judging,
the whole system of society shows would not work the way it does. It
wouldn't collapse, but the impetus to bring plants and do displays would
lose ground.

That would be a shame.

Diana

"eeyore" wrote in message
Never mind,

Saw the membership link. I'll probably sign up, but dopubt if my $60
will save the world. But perhaps indicates a need for a little more
advertisment to for us novices?

wrote in message
http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...entDisplay.cfm

--j_a

more AOS gloom eeyore Orchids 0 28-04-2009 02:59 AM
Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' AM/AOS x Rdcdm Rose Ganauchau 'Hackneau' HCC/AOS x2 v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 24-04-2008 12:19 PM
C Swan Lake 'Cimmaron Valley' AM/AOS X C Joan Lines 'Jean' AM/AOS V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 10:01 PM