Old 27-04-2009, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default more AOS gloom

http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...entDisplay.cfm

--j_a
Old 27-04-2009, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Unfortunately, it still doesn't really tell me what good society donations
would do to keep the garden open and it says nothing about a possible move.

I'm one who would very much like the AOS to turn around, but I see no
concrete proposals to boost membership, etc.

Diana

Old 27-04-2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

what i want to know is what caused that huge spike in donations in
2006...? or is that the single big donation he mentioned..?

--j_a
Old 27-04-2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ya know, I almost wrote to Fighetti. I probably should have. My points
were that I interpret the data differently.

1) Membership in 2007 and 2008 is just about the same. So to me that says
we've finally gotten down to the hard core orchid addicts. In my email
(that I deleted) I said heck, if the magazine was called 'Opium' instead of
'Orchids' and you mailed it out to a bunch of hard core addicts what would
you put in the magazine? Articles about the tasty stuff coming in from
Panama, Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent. Why treat us orchid
addicts any different from street addicts? Just tell us what's hot and
where to get it. Articles and Ads.

2) Donations in the last 2 years were better than donations immediatly post
9/11 and the markets sucked then too. So people are still giving. Granted
interest rates are horrid, but they are horrid for everyone.

3) Just as Bill Clinton told Barak Obama to stop talking so negatively so
should Fighetti. Sure times are tough but look at what you get for
membership in the AOS, and talk about that. If they can't come up with
something better to talk about they'd better think of something quick. Just
look at the subject line on this thread. 'AOS Gloom' Really, is there so
much to be gloomy about? Dump the endeavors that aren't paying for
themselves, the gift shop, the gardens, and whatever else isn't speifically
about orchids. I mean, really, would a street junkie care to have a gold
plated needle? No, he just wants more stuff. We aren't any different.

4) I think the web site has improved, I think the magazine has improved. I
think they should reprint articles from other orchid publications. They
used to reprint from things like the WOC, why not now? I think they should
put the index to the Bulletin in the members only section of the web page.
If what the AOS has more than any other publication out there is depth of
knowledge then give us the index to that knowledge.

Anyway, that's what I deleted to Fighetti.

K Barrett

Old 27-04-2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think that's the donation from when Mary McQuarrie passed away. But
don't quote me.

K Barrett

Old 27-04-2009, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think you're right about the McQuery donation, Kathy. The time frame seems
right.

On behalf of our society, I wrote to Jim Jordan. I copied a bunch of peeps,
including Carlos. Jim responded quickly and cordially, but the questions I
asked were not really answered.

Your right to the point questions are much like mine, except that I did
email the letter.

Diana

Old 28-04-2009, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Granted one new membership isn't going to help at all...but how does one
join and what is the cost? Perhaps a little more advertising might help a
little.

Old 28-04-2009, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Never mind,

Saw the membership link. I'll probably sign up, but dopubt if my $60
will save the world. But perhaps indicates a need for a little more
advertisment to for us novices?

Old 28-04-2009, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Publicity has been an issue, IMO. Until recently, the AOS acted like a
secret society. That is no longer the case. Do join. There are lots of
reasons to do so, not the least of which is the judging program. This board
has a fair number of judges who post regularly. Without the judging, the
whole system of society shows would not work the way it does. It wouldn't
collapse, but the impetus to bring plants and do displays would lose ground.

That would be a shame.

Diana

Old 28-04-2009, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

pricey. i only have a membership now cuz i get it for my birthday.

if i remember correctly, the report said that the trend seems to be
for people to join for a couple years, then lapse. i did that too--
after a while, the articles seemed repetitive, and they weren't all
that helpful anymore as i was no longer a totally novice grower. on
one of their surveys i suggested they bring back at least a few more
advanced articles, and they seem to have done that. the magazine
seems more balanced to me now.

and the subject line was me being tongue-in-cheek. ;-)

--j_a

Old 29-04-2009, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have been a member for almost 35 years, and have actually been thinking
about not renewing. The truth is that I rarely spend more than 15-30
minutes on a new issue of the magazine.

However, I can write it off to First Rays, and I was just down in Sarasota,
and it got me into the Marie Selby Gardens for free!

.. .

Old 29-04-2009, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I am not sure where this is all going to bottom out. Not worth looking back
to see which flower shows have gone black since I posted last, but I got
word this week that the Southeast Flower Show is no more and the Atlanta
show staff is being let go. Some of the flower shows have been bought and
are reopening as home and garden shows. This is very good news for those of
us in need of gutter guards, water proof basements, home alarm systems, and
sham wows. Not so good for flower fans.

Pat

Old 29-04-2009, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
g.com...
I am not sure where this is all going to bottom out. Not worth looking
back to see which flower shows have gone black since I posted last, but I
got word this week that the Southeast Flower Show is no more and the
Atlanta show staff is being let go. Some of the flower shows have been
bought and are reopening as home and garden shows. This is very good news
for those of us in need of gutter guards, water proof basements, home alarm
systems, and sham wows. Not so good for flower fans.

Pat

Maybe events like Homestead is the way to go, rather than a show per se.

K Barrett

Old 30-04-2009, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This is anecdotal, and we are Port St. Lucie, not Miami or Atlanta, but
still......

Our show in March made more money than in the past. Not a lot more, but
more. Our vendors were very happy. The societies around us have not been
that fortunate. I chalk up our success in large part to a great effort by
the membership with regard to publicity. We took advantage of every free
advertising venue available, and of course we also paid for ads and
materials. In the past, we did surveys at the door to see what was working
and what was wasted.

The Miami show this year was a bust. Maybe because attendees had to shell
out a total of $25 before walking in the door? Ya think? Many vendors have
said they will not return to Miami next year. Ditto people who went. Since
there were way fewer vendors at Miami *this* year, I don't know where that
leaves them for the future.

Frank & I don't go to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale as a rule. We prefer Tamiami
and Redland. Others are saying the same. Who needs one more white Phal?

It would be nice if, in this area, we could put together four or five
societies and do a regional festival. It would probably take a couple of
years to get off the ground, and that's an issue. $$$$, you know? We're in
great financial shape right now, but who knows down the line?

Diana (heading to Redland on May 15th. Watch out!)

Old 30-04-2009, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Who's going to Redlands besides me and Diana?

I will fly into Ft.Ladeeda Thursday afternoon (5/14) Then up at 5:30
Friday morning , get ready, leave my host's home and hit the drive-thru
at the McD's for two hash brown patties and an egg and cheese biscuit
(no meat) - a McDonald's breakfast is a twice-a-year treat for me on
vacation as, being a vegetarian (and working in a restaurant) I don't
generally eat out.

Then the drive down to Redlands to arrive by 8 to be first or second in
line (as usual) when the gate opens at 9. Do the run - and I do mean RUN
- through, picking up that one best vanda and all the plants I've
pre-ordered from S.A. vendors, then slowing to a mere trot for another
hour or two browsing to see what else I can't live without, then done by
1PM or so, lunch with Woji, and stopping by a postal orifice on my way
back to FtL to ship my plants and those of others I'm shopping for.
[anyone know a conveniently-placed P.O.?]

So if you're going to be there Fri AM and see a blond blur rush by with
a vanda hanging over his shoulder, trip me and say hi!

Tennis

more AOS gloom eeyore Orchids 0 28-04-2009 03:59 AM
Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' AM/AOS x Rdcdm Rose Ganauchau 'Hackneau' HCC/AOS x2 v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 24-04-2008 01:19 PM
C Swan Lake 'Cimmaron Valley' AM/AOS X C Joan Lines 'Jean' AM/AOS V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 11:01 PM