Old 01-05-2009, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default disposing of the body

so i had this honkin' huge antelope type den (big long name--lineale
hybid) that was really cute when i bought it lo those many years ago;
it took me quite a while to rebloom it (very pretty purple flowers
with a white picotee), but it came up CyMv+ last year. -sad- so i
kept it isolated and made sure not to use any implements on it, etc
etc, and i figured i'd let it bloom one more time then toss it. well,
it started getting chlorosis on more and more of the canes, and i
noticed last night that the newest cane, which had looked like it
might pop out a couple spikes, was also affected, so i decided to toss
it.

leading to the epistimological question: when you don't have a
compost heap handy, what the H do you do with a four foot tall, 2.5
foot across dendrobium potted in lava rock ??

well, it and its pot have been successfully stuffed in the kitchen
garbage (35 gal trash can), by dint of a lot of breaking up of canes
by hand, and vigorous shoving as it tried to get back out.

-sad-

oh well, i've got a little stratiotes in a yogurt cup at the moment;
who knows, maybe in 10 years i'll be bushwhacking my way thru it to
get to the deck doors.

anyone have any leads on a Den. Margaret Thatcher??

--j_a
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Dontcha hate that? In my case, I don't know where I would isolate
*anything*, so it would have to be tossed right away. Losing an orchid is a
very wierd experience, even though it happens to all of us.

Diana