GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which type should I start with (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/183515-type-should-i-start.html)

PeterGreenMan 11-05-2009 11:34 PM

Which type should I start with

I've never grown orchids before but would like to grow ones that have vivid rich colours. I know there are several types but which type should I start with as a beginner? Thanks

Ray B[_2_] 12-05-2009 12:48 PM

Which type should I start with

Peter,

There are around 30,000 species, 200,000 registered hybrids, and
countless unregistered ones, so there is bound to be SOMETHING that will
fit your desires.

However, growing orchids is nothing like growing other plants. They are
a very highly evolved plant family, and each has its cultural niche, so
unless your growing conditions and watering habits match a particular
plant's needs, you will have difficulties. Conversely, find a good
match, and they can be like weeds!

Please read the following: http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Conversation: Which type should I start with
Subject: Which type should I start with

--
PeterGreenMan

NY orchid lover 14-05-2009 07:16 AM

On May 12, 6:48*am, "Ray B" wrote:
Peter,

There are around 30,000 species, 200,000 registered hybrids, and
countless unregistered ones, so there is bound to be SOMETHING that will
fit your desires.

However, growing orchids is nothing like growing other plants. *They are
a very highly evolved plant family, and each has its cultural niche, so
unless your growing conditions and watering habits match a particular
plant's needs, you will have difficulties. *Conversely, find a good
match, and they can be like weeds!

Please read the following: *http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com
Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

wendy7 14-05-2009 06:52 PM

Which type should I start with

Dear PeterGreenMan,
I notice that your post is out of the gardenbanter so I think
you are from
across the pond no?
Anyway, do yourself a favour & find your nearest orchid society
& go to a
meeting. You will find some wonderful people that grow in your area & can
give you
first hand advice.
Important factors are shaded sunlight & watering habits. In
the mean time,
check out Ray's web site, he is amazingly knowledgeable & always helpful.
Good luck!
Cheers Wendy

PeterGreenMan 18-05-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendy7 (Post 844752)
Dear PeterGreenMan,
I notice that your post is out of the gardenbanter so I think
you are from across the pond no?

Important factors are shaded sunlight & watering habits. In
the mean time, check out Ray's web site, he is amazingly knowledgeable & always helpful.
Good luck!
Cheers Wendy

"PeterGreenMan" wrote in message

I've never grown orchids before but would like to grow ones that have
vivid rich colours. I know there are several types but which type
should I start with as a beginner? Thanks

--
PeterGreenMan

Hi wendy7.
Yep. Wales UK.
Just gone and bought a phalaenopsis fingers crossed...... got it yesterday and it is still living!!

wendy7 18-05-2009 06:06 PM

Which type should I start with

All right then, good for you.
Rule #1 ....... Do not over water, or too often. ie. every other day!!
Once a week & that depends on how dry & warm the weather is.
The surface of the potting mix would look & feel dry but could be quite
moist down under.
Some people stick their fingers in to test but a clean pencil works well, it
absorbs moisture.
Anyway, enjoy your plant & good luck!
Cheers Wendy (Hoping more folks will chime in with more rules)

Wendy7;844752 Wrote:
Dear PeterGreenMan,
I notice that your post is out of the gardenbanter so I
think
you are from across the pond no?

Important factors are shaded sunlight & watering habits.
In
the mean time, check out Ray's web site, he is amazingly knowledgeable
& always helpful.
Good luck!
Cheers Wendy

"PeterGreenMan" wrote in
message
...-

StrikitRich[_2_] 27-05-2009 09:16 PM

Which type should I start with

In article ,
PeterGreenMan wrote:

I've never grown orchids before but would like to grow ones that have
vivid rich colours. I know there are several types but which type
should I start with as a beginner? Thanks

Do a little research and find out what might survive better in your
climate. A cool weather Cymbidium may be a good choice.

http://www.orchidboard.com may provide a lot of help, too.

SR

PeterGreenMan 28-05-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikitRich[_2_] (Post 847633)

Thanks for the advice, just joined 'orchidboard'

We will see how things go. Peter