Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default RO water

Hi All !
I am concidering a Ro unit ,i have looked at the First Rays info etc
..I know you can buy ready made fertilizer designed for use with pure
water,but don`t think this type of feed is available in the UK .

I add fertilizer ,and added Mg & Cal to my rain water so would this suit RO
or is this not enough .
Any input appreciatted.
Regards Keith

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Keith,

The stuff you do with rainwater is exactly correct with RO water.

Pay particular to the pH and buffering.

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

RO waterHi Ray , so my regime should fit in ok .
I add 15ml feed, 5ml cal ,5ml sulphate of ammonia ,5 ml mag then add this gradually to 80 ltrs to get the required strength depending on time of year.
So no more additives are needed ?
I tested some waste RO water today and the PH was 7.4 and 750 m/sm i was thinking of using this waste water for my hydrofogger. Good or bad idea or is it no better than tap water so waste of time using.
Thanks Keith

Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

As I use a complete fertilizer formulation, I cannot comment on the
additional stuff needed other than to say "make sure it's complete"
(which those don't seem to be).

If your hydrofogger does not deposit any droplets on your plants, and
you don't mind doing some periodic cleaning, the flush water ought to be
OK. I use RO in mine, because it does and I do.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids - http://www.firstrays.com
www.firstrays.com
Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

RO waterHi Ray , i may have been misunderstood , the 15 ml feed is a complete feed of 2-1-4 /trace ,the N added to make it
4-1-4 and Cal & Mg added as a suppliment .I mix all this together in 100 ml of water then gradually add this to 80 lt of rain water to the required strength depending on time of year then alter the ph between 6.1 -6.9 .
So if this was used with RO should it be o.k ?.
Regards Keith

Old 09-06-2009, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I would think so.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

RO waterThanks for your time Ray.
Still undecided , i think my feeding regime will suit RO , i am now concidering wether to switch rain to RO due to RO being cleaner as my rain storage is left standing ,impractical to clean out and i like the idea of not having to mess about collecting rain/knowing RO is there when i need it so it will not be left standing unused.
Putting feeding regime to one side , would you say RO is better for orchids than rain water .
Are you only using RO ?
Cheers
Keith
"Ray B" wrote in message news:000001c9e919$1da61e50$0200a8c0@fro...
I would think so.

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

RO, at least, is "controlled".

If you do a good job keeping up with filter and membrane changes (quite
infrequent), you KNOW you always have pure water. With rainwater, you
have to consider what it cleaned out of the atmosphere and off of the
collection surfaces.