Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Holy pot shards, Batman!

Wow! We had a storm come through here about an hour and a half ago. Sheets
of water like waves in Mexico washing over Phals, galvanized pipe came down,
and the orchids with it, Vandas in the pool, including that big Ascocentrum
curvifolium that some of you may recall. Benches cleared in the lanai.

Had to be a small twister. Picked up as much as possible (everything is off
the ground) and will make repairs tomorrow AM. Broken pots, broken pbulbs,
broken sheaths. At one point we actually went into the laundry room with the
cat for a minute or so, because it's the most interior room with no glass.
An area with no glass is hard to find in our house.

What a mess. So much for repotting tomorrow.

Diana

Old 06-06-2009, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Had to be a minor twister. What with the airplane that went down near
Brazil I wouldn't wonder that the weather is unsettled an can sneak up on
you. Even we had thunder & finger lightning (as opposed to 'heat' lightning
that CA usually gets) on Wednesday. Very weird for us. Usually rain in the
first two weeks of June, but no lightning, etc..... Then dry till
Thanksgiving.

K Barrett

Old 06-06-2009, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Wow! We had a storm come through here about an hour and a half ago. Sheets
of water like waves in Mexico washing over Phals, galvanized pipe came down,
and the orchids with it, Vandas in the pool, including that big Ascocentrum
curvifolium that some of you may recall. Benches cleared in the lanai.

Had to be a small twister. Picked up as much as possible (everything is off
the ground) and will make repairs tomorrow AM. Broken pots, broken pbulbs,
broken sheaths. At one point we actually went into the laundry room with the
cat for a minute or so, because it's the most interior room with no glass.
An area with no glass is hard to find in our house.

What a mess. So much for repotting tomorrow.

Diana

Save the larger potsherds - for mounts! That nodosa of mine I posted
pics on abpo a while back has been in bloom on four spikes for about two
monhts now - on a mount of nothing but a good-sized piece of a broken
8-inch pot!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We're done out there for the day ; it's raining again. Plants are back in
place, at least. Now it's just a dirty mess, but we'll get to that.

Broken pots have lots of uses - bottom of a pot, mounts, etc. But these
things are in little pieces, and are now in the trash.

Diana

Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I should add something. The reason I am so sure it was a tornado is the
pattern. The south side of the pool and patio area got wind and rain, but
stayed intact. The west side and the northwest side (what we call the lanai,
to differentiate it) were the areas trashed. And even there, the
northernmost portion was okay. Some spaces right next to damage were wet, of
course, but unharmed. So it was very targeted.

Now that it's over, it was interesting, to say the least.

Diana

news

Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ya might say. Our patio still looks like a war zone. Happily, no rain is in
the offing for the next couple of days. Tomorrow and Tuesday are taken up,
but Wednesday we should be able to get things back to normal.

Diana