Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

Okay, if this is real (and I don't doubt it) that takes the cake. What are
those third party vendors again? I never made a note of them.

Also: it is time to get serious about using the groups that Kye set up.

Diana

wrote in message

Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet Netnews service. If you wish to continue
reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
vendors.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Okay, if this is real (and I don't doubt it) that takes the cake. What are
those third party vendors again? I never made a note of them.

Also: it is time to get serious about using the groups that Kye set up.

Diana

There has only been one posting since 5/30, on 6/09, on abpo, and only
two, both mine, on o.pictures (the Kye group) since 5/31, on 6/09.

Apparently I am alone on both - or just about.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I use this as well and have been extremely satisfied. $3/month. They offer
two servers: news.usenetmonster.com, and bignews.usenetmonster.com. The
latter is much faster for me.
Chuck B.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mea culpa, Tenman. Life has been extremely hectic for the past 8 or so
months, and I have not been posting pics. I promise to remedy that
forthwith. Well, in the next couple of days.

The thing to remember is that for anyone under the ATT umbrella, *this*
group is going away, too. No more rgo for us, and there are many of us. So I
need to bite the bullet and find another avenue for posting. It's not the
$$. I mean, $3/month? It's just that I have been a little lazy and have not
added an indie provider. I will be doing that.

Based on what's happening, I tend to agree with Chris Savas that Usenet is
going away. If we want to stay in touch, and I think a lot of us do, then we
eventually will need an alternative. Kye's server can fill the bill, if we
use it.

Diana

Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:48:13 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Mea culpa, Tenman. Life has been extremely hectic for the past 8 or so
months, and I have not been posting pics. I promise to remedy that
forthwith. Well, in the next couple of days.

The thing to remember is that for anyone under the ATT umbrella, *this*
group is going away, too. No more rgo for us, and there are many of us. So I
need to bite the bullet and find another avenue for posting. It's not the
$$. I mean, $3/month? It's just that I have been a little lazy and have not
added an indie provider. I will be doing that.

Motzarella.org.
It's free.
The admin, Ray Banana, is helpful to folks that have problems and that
can be arsed to state when, where, and what went wrong.

Based on what's happening, I tend to agree with Chris Savas that Usenet is
going away. If we want to stay in touch, and I think a lot of us do, then we
eventually will need an alternative. Kye's server can fill the bill, if we
use it.

While USENET for binaries is likely to go away, the bandwidth required for
USENET for conversation isn't much these days. Traffic will die back down
to the levels a bit lower than before the longest September, but USENET
and mailing lists are likely to hang on for quite a while.

I'm sure that eventually another service will replace USENET and mailing
lists, but it isn't the current generation of online forums and blogs
with comments.

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:
[...]

Some of the ning network forums look interesting. Here's one on crime
fiction that's active. People post music, podcasts all sorts of stuff.
http://crimespace.ning.com/

K Barrett

Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That was an issue related to images, but I have had no problem seeing
others' images recently.

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Posted At: Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:11 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down
Subject: AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

Motzarella, I seem to recall that you can only see posts that were
put
up by others also using that service. I could be wrong.

Diana

wrote:

Mea culpa, Tenman. Life has been extremely hectic for the past 8 or

so
months, and I have not been posting pics. I promise to remedy that
forthwith. Well, in the next couple of days.

The thing to remember is that for anyone under the ATT umbrella,

*this*
group is going away, too. No more rgo for us, and there are many of

us.
So I need to bite the bullet and find another avenue for posting.

It's
not the $$. I mean, $3/month? It's just that I have been a little

lazy
and have not added an indie provider. I will be doing that.

Motzarella.org.

Tried that last year; didn't work.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:29:20 -0700 in K Barrett wrote:

Some of the ning network forums look interesting. Here's one on crime
fiction that's active. People post music, podcasts all sorts of stuff.
http://crimespace.ning.com/

Ah, a shining example of a forum web app I don't like.

Let's take
http://crimespace.ning.com/forum/topics/words-1

We have a blog post.
We have replies to a blog post.
We have replies to replies (lather rinse repeat).

Now suppose someone else replies to L.J. Parker's first reply,
I have to skim through the whole damn thread to see if there's
anything new. It gets worse the deeper you get.

The opening text width is incompatible with the number of words
humans are really comfortable processing per line.
Without severe fiddling with the application, I get the joyful
black text on white background. While this is effective on a reflective
surface such as paper, it's less than ideal.

RSSfeed. I've heard great things about rssfeed aggregators.
I sort of use one for grabbing some multimedia files regularly.
It's great, if more than 20 items show up since the last time I query
it (every 15 minutes), I lose the new items that weren't on the 20 returned.
And if nothing changed, yep, I retrieve the same 20 again.

And standards on reliably retrieving an rssfeed... fat chance.

Now for the next bit of fun.
if i want to reply on ning.com, I have to register yet another ID
and remember yet another password.
Later, rinse, repeat for facebook, myspace, livejournal, twitter....
Yes, there are credential wallet options. There seem to be
slightly fewer of them than there are major sites.

Redundancy.. when the folks at ning.com forget to renew their domain
and someone else scoops it, 1) Assume your userid and password will be
successfully phished (Hope you didn't use it anywhere else).
2) All of that content will be gone until someone figured out what the
hell happened.
And when the battery room blows up, like happened almost a year ago
at a major colo, odds are it's gone gone gone...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:11:03 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Motzarella, I seem to recall that you can only see posts that were put
up by others also using that service. I could be wrong.

So, I'm not seeing your post, and you're not seeing mine.

Right.

While motzarella.org does carry alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,
few, if any, of its peers carry ANY binaries newsgroups.
And of those that do, they drop articles containing binaries.
It's sort of like having all phonecalls to or from your workplace
go through a receptionist that can see who the caller is and who
the person to be called is and drop them at whim. Except there is no
whim.

As I mentioned, USENET for binaries is dieing. As it's a rather inefficient
distribution method that sends thousands of copies to thousands servers
where they'll usually never be read. Pick a picture distribution website
(Picasa, shutterfly, flickr, rotten.com...) and make your pictures available
to people without accounts on the service. Then post the URL to the
gallery and a description of the gallery to whatever forum you're
using. Don't know which photo website to use... try all 4 and decide
which sucked the least for you to upload all your pictures and put
captions on them.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:38:25 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Chris, as of July 15th I will have no choice but to use a new provider. ATT
(and therefore Bell South) is cutting access to Usenet all together.

Diana,
I get that already.

Your statement was that posts by motzarella users could only be seen
by other motzarella users.
As we are having this discusion, that statement is false.

There are limitations to motzarella, but as you were with AT&T you already
had those limitations.