Old 17-06-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Thanks everyone

Att is killing all newsgroups. This is the only thing they had left to
offer, so time to say goodbye. My building is probably switching cable
companies (my hope for alternate provider), so for now I'm up in the air.

In any event, just wanted to make sure I thanked everybody for answering my
questions over the years. Hope to make it back, but in any event, thanks
much for your much appreciated help

Old 17-06-2009, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Don't give up. See the thread with the subject line "AT&T Usenet ...etc.".
I'm in the same boat. Find another way in. I will, as soon as I have 3
minutes to do so. If you lose track, go to Kye's server: 121.208.41.

Diana

Old 17-06-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

all else fails there's the dreaded google groups.

--j_a
Old 18-06-2009, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks all. Didn't notice all the posts under the att post. Assumed they
were only reposts of the same notice. I hope to find my way back, and in
any event hope to use it as a impetus to dump ATT and find my way into the
21'st century (still on dial up!). Take care.

Old 18-06-2009, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

P.S am connected to Kye's server already. Lurking as usual. Thanks Kye!

Old 18-06-2009, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"jankey" wrote in message

all else fails there's the dreaded google groups.

--j_a

Please stop lurking there and start posting some pics or recipes or
SOMETHING...it's spooky being just about the only one there!
Old 18-06-2009, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Please stop lurking there and start posting some pics or recipes or
SOMETHING...it's spooky being just about the only one there!

sorry, the only machine i have regular access to is the one at work,
and i suspect they'd have several things to say if i installed a
newsreader on it.

one of these days i'll get my own machine...and a digital camera.

--j_a
Old 18-06-2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:28:51 -0700 (PDT) in jankey wrote:

sorry, the only machine i have regular access to is the one at work,
and i suspect they'd have several things to say if i installed a
newsreader on it.

One thing I discovered years ago is that most companies allow their
employees to do entirely too much on the internet from work.
The other thing I discovered is almost every business with windows
computers that can surf the web have not locked down users from
downloading the putty ssh client and running that.

Combine that with a shell account... and you end up doing what I've
been doing for the past 19 years.

Anyways...

Putty
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
For most of the population all you need is putty.exe or plink.exe.
If you want to get fancy, grab pscp, psftp, pageant, and puttygen

Free Unix shell accounts.
http://www.red-pill.eu/freeunix.shtml

If you're feeling masochistic, see if you can successfully do
'telnet news.eternal-september.org 119'
from a cmd.exe window
And if that works (You'll see something like
200 news.eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.0 ready (posting ok)
)
type
'group motzarella.support'
'article 1'
'next'
'article'
'quit'

(Remove the single quotes. Hit return after each thing in single quotes)
Just keep track of article numbers on a sheet of paper and read through
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3977

and you can have an extremely low tech newsreader.

one of these days i'll get my own machine...and a digital camera.

Ah, but it's very important to have access to someone else's machine
preferably a someone else's machine sitting in another country.

--j_a

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jun 16, 8:47*pm, "eeyore" wrote:
Att is killing all newsgroups. *This is the only thing they had left to
offer, so time to say goodbye. *My building is probably switching cable
companies (my hope for alternate provider), so for now I'm up in the air.

In any event, just wanted to make sure I thanked everybody for answering my
questions over the years. *Hope to make it back, but in any event, thanks
much for your much appreciated help

of course it is always possible to find a web enabled connection to
usenet, like this one at google groups.

I just dropped in to do a search and find something posted here a long
time ago... heelo everyone!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I just dropped in to do a search and find something posted here a long
time ago... *heelo everyone!

dude! -waves-

looked at your site the other day--you've got some pretty stuff on
there.

-i have no room-
-i have no room-
-i have no room-
-ok maybe i have a little room-

and look out, our club is contemplating descending upon you in the
fall again.

--j_a

Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi
I was using AT&T C**P off and on till they killed the binaries however it
wasn't very good to begin with so I switched to

http://www.teranews.com/
Check it out free account ($3.95 one time setup fee) 50 megbites a day
download

I've been using it for years with my Xnews news reader
http://download.cnet.com/Xnews/3000-...-10144167.html
also free