GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/185409-re-t-usenet-netnews-service-shutting-down.html)

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 02-07-2009 10:27 PM

AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

You can set up a group on Facebook, and people can do OPs, new threads,
pictures. One of our OS members just set one up for the society. I'm not
used to it yet, but it seems easy enough to work with.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
"tenman" wrote in message
dusty wrote:
wrote in news:1244504412.19018_24496
@flph199.ffdc.sbc.com:

And the AT&T thieves are not giving us a lower price for less service.
I think AT&T should be sued for false advertising their $19.95 high
speed internet service is NOT fast. Average speeds here in STL are 525
minutes to down load a move 44 minutes to download a video clip 15 or
more minutes to download a 1 minute Youtube
This is what you get with AT&T high speed $19.95 high speed service
Latest from www.Speedtest .net
Ping: 108 ms Download 0.19 Mb/s
Upload 0.32 Mb/s

AT&T rated Number 27 in Global Broadband speed but rated # 1 in the
world for highest pricing

I think the lesson here is, good intentions notwithstanding, it is at
this point unrealistic to expect to rely on the availability of any of
our current outlets (abpo, rgo, and Kye's two). I know several of us have
begun using Flickr as an alternative. It has new pics posted
notifications, pm availability, new comments and other activities
notifications, and 'contact' lists to enable one to keep up with others'
postings, etc.

It does not have a general message forum, unfortunately. The AOS forum is
working now, but it's so broken up into microforums there's no community
there, either. And who knows when it'll go on hiatus again. Or disappear
in a cost-cutting move.

I am at a loss for anything to replace the newsgroups as they are, but
I'm afraid we are all confronted by the fact that they are going away and
there's not really anything to be done about it; alternative newsgroup
readers don't really seem a viable option; several I've tried just don't
work, and the sad fact is with so many cut out of newsgroups, there just
isn't anything much on them anymore to try to follow anyway.

I just posted something similar on the mystery group I read. I think
Usenet is about done. I looked into Facebook. I really hate that idea
but it might be the way to go. I looked at The Orchid Board, but again,
its fragmented.

Or maybe we just post via Garden Banter.uk, LOL!!

K Barrett