Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Paph Armeni White.....it's pink

Greetings all,

It's been a while since I moseyed out this way. I hope all of you are
well.

I have first bloom seedling (that is actually 6+ years old) of Paph
Armeni White (delenatii x armeniacum) that opened this week. Normally,
these are creamy white but this one opened up as pink. Not solid pink
but the pouch is pink and the petals are overlaid in pink.

It has the shape of Armeni White and the others that have bloomed in the
past that I got when these seedlings came in the mail all bloomed as
white.

Any thoughts? Is this something that judges would like/dislike?

Gene
Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene Schurg wrote:
Greetings all,

It's been a while since I moseyed out this way. I hope all of you are
well.

I have first bloom seedling (that is actually 6+ years old) of Paph
Armeni White (delenatii x armeniacum) that opened this week. Normally,
these are creamy white but this one opened up as pink. Not solid pink
but the pouch is pink and the petals are overlaid in pink.

It has the shape of Armeni White and the others that have bloomed in the
past that I got when these seedlings came in the mail all bloomed as
white.

Any thoughts? Is this something that judges would like/dislike?

Gene

I'd think yours takes after the delenatii parent. We awarded one at the
CSNJC that was yellow, so it tok after the armeniacum parent. For a
judge to take interest it has to have good color and good form. The
form must be balanced & symmetrical. If you think yours is then by all
means bring it in for judging.

K Barrett
Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene Schurg wrote:
Greetings all,

It's been a while since I moseyed out this way. I hope all of you are
well.

I have first bloom seedling (that is actually 6+ years old) of Paph
Armeni White (delenatii x armeniacum) that opened this week. Normally,
these are creamy white but this one opened up as pink. Not solid pink
but the pouch is pink and the petals are overlaid in pink.

It has the shape of Armeni White and the others that have bloomed in the
past that I got when these seedlings came in the mail all bloomed as
white.

Any thoughts? Is this something that judges would like/dislike?

Gene

Most are white-ish, the prevailing theory in the past being that
delenatii suppresses the yellow.

But I have one now open which is a pale yellow so I guess it's more
complex than previousy thought; I'm not sure if it's because I'm growing
it cooler or it'll just always be that way.

I'd love to see a pic of the pink one, and would hope to find one of my
own sometime, or perhaps a division of yours in the fullness of time.
Can you post one to abpo, kye's site or anywhere else we can see it? I'm
putting my yellow one on abpo now.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article ,
tenman wrote:

tenman,

Check out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4036918...rig=3714274558

Side view

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40369185@N04/3713510239/

Let me know if this works.

I put the picture up on Flickr. I hope it works since this is my first
post to that site.

Gene
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OK...I think I've got it....

Try

www.flickr.com/photos/vagreengene

Gene

Old 13-07-2009, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Looks great!

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 13-07-2009, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene Schurg wrote:
In article ,
tenman wrote:

tenman,

Check out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4036918...rig=3714274558

Side view

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40369185@N04/3713510239/

Let me know if this works.

I put the picture up on Flickr. I hope it works since this is my first
post to that site.

Gene

It is a very lovely flower, but I think it has been mislabelled at some
point and is in reality Magic Lantern, for which it is an exact match.
The tesselations on the petals are a dead giveaway for a micranthum parent.
Old 13-07-2009, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Good catch.....It just might be mislabeled.

This was one of the seedlings I got from Ray Rand many years ago. I've
heard that some of his plants were mislabeled.
Old 13-07-2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

ooh very pretty!

--j_a