Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Looking for a new server....

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 18:03:42 -0400 in tenman wrote:
I tried both teranews and motzarella last summer when my ISP was messed
up; neither worked and neither seems to have any tech assistance - or at
least any that would respond to queries and requests for help.

I gave up. Eventually my ISP got itself figured out, and I have
newsgroup access again.

eternal-september.support and motzarella.support both exist on
news.eternal-september.org
The fellow behind eternal-september.org regularly reads those newsgroups
and is quite patient at helping folks that actually manage to setup a
new newserver/user profile in their newsreader and make it to the server.
He also puts some fairly explicit instructions for most newsreaders on his
website (I know, I had to use them for slrn).

The only thing he doesn't do is give a quick tutorial on checking to see
if it's working by hand. And here's one.
Works from the shell prompt of any OS with a telnet client.
On Windows that would be a cmd.exe window or a command.com window.

telnet newsserver 119
If you see something like

Connected to news.eternal-september.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.0 ready (posting ok)

or

Connected to news.teranews.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 (newsfe15.iad) -- Welcome (Tornado v1.2.7.560-1)

You've got one hurdle down.

Now teranew is a slight pain in the butt that they require auth for
reaching their support newsgroup.

I type "group teranews.support" and hit enter
and get
480 Authentication Required

There's a nice check box in the thunderbird newsserver configuration that
says something like "ALWAYS USE AUTHENTICATION."
Check it. Glub only knows why it isn't automatically checked if you
give it a username and password.
Glub also only knows why when username and password change it doesn't
immediately assume that it needs to re-retrieve the entire grouplist again.
However, Ray was kind enough to explain that in his thunderbird
instructions.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana, can you please email me directly? Got a society question for
you.

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

From: Diana Kulaga ]
Posted At: Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:28 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Looking for a new server....

Thanks, guys. Chris, I know about Flickr. It does seem a bit limited

as
far
as discussion is concerned. There is always the Facebook option,

too.

Diana

Old 11-07-2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:
[...]

FWIW ditto. Now that I know apbo is carried on eternal-september I'm
happy as a clam.

K Barrett

Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

SuE mentioned the costs to Kye once before, so I took that to heart and
looked for other access points to usenet.

How has SuE been? I figured once the grandkids happened she got carried
away with them, *G*!

K Barrett

John Erickson wrote:
Diana, it's time for me to come out from the shadows. I have followed
the usenet orchid groups for many years. I just chose not to
participate for a variety of reasons. My wife, SuE, was an active
participant for many years but lately has been silent. While I still
have usenet access thru my isp, I also subscribe to Giganews (very
reliable and has GREAT retention). I pay about $10 / month.

Kye is very generous. Do you really think that his cost is zero. I'm
not sure it's fair for him to subsidize all of us, but that's his decision.

The larger problem, as I see it, is that using Kye's group (not part of
usenet) or a restricted Facebook group will severely restrict any
participation by new orchid growers. They will not know where to go for
information. If the intent is to keep this a private club, with minimal
new participation, then this is the way to go. But, if we want to grow
the hobby, we must make the discussions visible to all that are interested.

I don't know what is the long term future of usenet, but it's still
here. Many folks may need to pay for access but that is their decision.
Free options are around with limitations.

John Erickson

"K Barrett" wrote in message
We all sign up on facebook and join the growing orchid community there.

The mystery group I read has a growing group of mystery fans there
too. I have no idea how well this works, but am tempted. I worry
about the timesuck factor.

K Barrett

What facebook option?

Old 11-07-2009, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And. . . .. .. . .. only the shadow knows! *G*
Dear John, Glad to hear from you & how is Sue doing? Please tell her that
we miss her.
Cheers Wendy(Who knocks on wood every day because my binaries News Groups
still work!)

"K Barrett" wrote in message
We all sign up on facebook and join the growing orchid community there.

The mystery group I read has a growing group of mystery fans there too.
I have no idea how well this works, but am tempted. I worry about the
timesuck factor.

K Barrett

What facebook option?

Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:50:03 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

And. . . .. .. . .. only the shadow knows! *G*
Dear John, Glad to hear from you & how is Sue doing? Please tell her that
we miss her.
Cheers Wendy(Who knocks on wood every day because my binaries News Groups
still work!)

For too long there was no orchid chatter - then taxes, and GC (only 1
Wendy) got in the way. If you all stay here and start the discussion
again - I will try to get back in the habit. I do miss the 'family'.
Anyone heard from Reka?
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well hello lady,
Yes I know how a granchild can keep you going, mine is 24!
But those dreaded taxes!!!! *G*
It is so good to hear from you Sue & Dear John.
Funny I was thinking of you, Reka, Joann & some others, wondering
where & what you are doing?
Anyway good to hear from you,
Cheers
Wendy

News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 06:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:55 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM
OT - Newsgroup server problems zookeeper Ponds 14 18-09-2003 02:12 AM
new server! kevin About GardenBanter 0 15-07-2003 07:19 PM