Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Looking for a new server....

Hi, all,

I've been spending some time looking for a new portal to access Usenet, as
we've been discussing. Before registering anywhere, I thought I'd ask a
question or two.

Motzarella.org has become eternal-september.org. On the home page, it is
pretty clear that it supports *text* groups. Is anyone still using this, and
if so can you still access abpo?

Bignews.usenetmonster.com: I can find it, but it takes a loooonnnng time to
download the home page. I stopped waiting after about 60 seconds. Is this
normal, or is there a glitch today?

Does anyone use Terranews?

All info helpful and appreciated.

Diana

Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

I am using motzarella aka eternal-september, and have abpo fine. It is
in their list of groups...

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:33:02 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hi, all,

I've been spending some time looking for a new portal to access Usenet, as
we've been discussing. Before registering anywhere, I thought I'd ask a
question or two.

You know you can register for multiple ones.

Motzarella.org has become eternal-september.org. On the home page, it is
pretty clear that it supports *text* groups. Is anyone still using this, and
if so can you still access abpo?

Ray Banana added ABPO shortly after i signed on.
I can see binaries posted by other eternal-september users fine.
Some outside ones appear fine.
I'm disinclined to do any of the pay services with binaries,
so I cannot check outbound propogation. The individual that shills
the Teranews $3.95 one time fee can sign up for an eternal-september
account, post a binary, and check propagation.

Bignews.usenetmonster.com: I can find it, but it takes a loooonnnng time to
download the home page. I stopped waiting after about 60 seconds. Is this
normal, or is there a glitch today?

Does anyone use Terranews?

Look in the farewell thread. The guy that shill's Teranews
just posted again on that thread.

All info helpful and appreciated.

You should have started looking for free text USENET providers
and started using them last year.

Considering a recent lawsuit where a binaries USENET providers was
found liable for distributing copyrighted material it did not
have license to distribute, I reiterate "Start using something like
flickr. Post the URLs to your pictures in USENET postings
that describe your wonderful photos."

One of the things on my plate for my second job is providing
an image gallery service to those that don't like the terms and
conditions on flickr. Unfortunately, that means a pay service.

Diana

--
Chris Dukes

Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Thanks, guys. Chris, I know about Flickr. It does seem a bit limited as far
as discussion is concerned. There is always the Facebook option, too.

Diana

And there's gardenbanter.co.uk which show both rgo and abpo.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
Diana Kulaga wrote:
Thanks, guys. Chris, I know about Flickr. It does seem a bit limited
as far as discussion is concerned. There is always the Facebook
option, too.

Diana

And there's gardenbanter.co.uk which show both rgo and abpo.

Found abpo on matzarella, Yippee! I'm in!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hi, all,

I've been spending some time looking for a new portal to access Usenet, as
we've been discussing. Before registering anywhere, I thought I'd ask a
question or two.

Motzarella.org has become eternal-september.org. On the home page, it is
pretty clear that it supports *text* groups. Is anyone still using this, and
if so can you still access abpo?

Bignews.usenetmonster.com: I can find it, but it takes a loooonnnng time to
download the home page. I stopped waiting after about 60 seconds. Is this
normal, or is there a glitch today?

Does anyone use Terranews?

All info helpful and appreciated.

Diana

I tried both teranews and motzarella last summer when my ISP was messed
up; neither worked and neither seems to have any tech assistance - or at
least any that would respond to queries and requests for help.

I gave up. Eventually my ISP got itself figured out, and I have
newsgroup access again.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

What facebook option?

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We all sign up on facebook and join the growing orchid community there.

The mystery group I read has a growing group of mystery fans there too.
I have no idea how well this works, but am tempted. I worry about the
timesuck factor.

K Barrett

Ray B wrote:
What facebook option?

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Actually, Facebook can be better than that; we could have our own group. One
of our society members set up a restricted Facebook group for us. You can't
join it unless an admin okays you. He made me an admin, and I get reminders
when a member wants to sign up for the group. From what I know so far, you
can assign anyone to be an admin.

Then you have your own board, where anyone who is in the group can start or
participate in threads, post pictures, etc. And no spam. You don't have to
do all the junk that is available on Facebook (*what kind of animal are
you?*; *so and so wants to add your birthday to his calendar*, etc.). We
could use it purely as a message/binaries posting center. It's not the wild
west that Usenet is, but we can allow others to join.

I'm new to it, and I'm not familiar with how to set up a restricted group.
But hey, how hard can it be?

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
We all sign up on facebook and join the growing orchid community there.

The mystery group I read has a growing group of mystery fans there too. I
have no idea how well this works, but am tempted. I worry about the
timesuck factor.

K Barrett

What facebook option?

Old 11-07-2009, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Here's a link to the Port St. Lucie group page:

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/gr...d=109020051583

Bear in mind that it is new, so it doesn't have a lot of content yet.

Diana

. ..

"K Barrett" wrote in message
We all sign up on facebook and join the growing orchid community there.

The mystery group I read has a growing group of mystery fans there too. I
have no idea how well this works, but am tempted. I worry about the
timesuck factor.

K Barrett

Ray B wrote:
What facebook option?

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana, it's time for me to come out from the shadows. I have followed
the usenet orchid groups for many years. I just chose not to
participate for a variety of reasons. My wife, SuE, was an active
participant for many years but lately has been silent. While I still
have usenet access thru my isp, I also subscribe to Giganews (very
reliable and has GREAT retention). I pay about $10 / month.

Kye is very generous. Do you really think that his cost is zero. I'm
not sure it's fair for him to subsidize all of us, but that's his decision.

The larger problem, as I see it, is that using Kye's group (not part of
usenet) or a restricted Facebook group will severely restrict any
participation by new orchid growers. They will not know where to go for
information. If the intent is to keep this a private club, with minimal
new participation, then this is the way to go. But, if we want to grow
the hobby, we must make the discussions visible to all that are interested.

I don't know what is the long term future of usenet, but it's still
here. Many folks may need to pay for access but that is their decision.
Free options are around with limitations.

John Erickson

"K Barrett" wrote in message
We all sign up on facebook and join the growing orchid community there.

The mystery group I read has a growing group of mystery fans there too. I
have no idea how well this works, but am tempted. I worry about the
timesuck factor.

K Barrett

What facebook option?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:27:44 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Thanks, guys. Chris, I know about Flickr. It does seem a bit limited as far
as discussion is concerned. There is always the Facebook option, too.

How exactly am i unclear here?

Post the picture on flikr.

Post URL to picture or group of pictures and description of it here.

Discussion happens here.

Just because you post the picture on flikr doesn't mean it gets
discussed on flikr.
In fact, I'd generally not recommend discussing flikr photos on flikr.
They're a great image dump site, they suck for communications.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:27:44 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Thanks, guys. Chris, I know about Flickr. It does seem a bit limited as far
as discussion is concerned. There is always the Facebook option, too.

And for me, facebook is *NOT* an option.
I don't have the time to sufficiently falsify a persona for every
activity I might possibly want to do on facebook.
I don't want my real information anywhere near facebook as the owner
of any application on facebook gets full access to your information.
For added joy... deleting something from facebook doesn't actually delete
it. It generally just marks it to not automatically stick it into
a link or image tag on your page. If someone has the absolute URL to it
it's like it was never deleted.

My wife and kids use it, and my conclusion is "It embraces every reason
I never set foot on my highschool since I graduated."

--
Chris Dukes

News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 07:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 07:55 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 07:48 PM
OT - Newsgroup server problems zookeeper Ponds 14 18-09-2003 03:12 AM
new server! kevin About GardenBanter 0 15-07-2003 08:19 PM