Old 23-07-2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Anyone know and easy way to fertilize lots of orchids fast?

I've been using Orchid fertilizer and a garden 2 gallon pump sprayer but my
addiction has far exceeded its capabilities. So I'm wondering if something
like a hose end sprayer like ortho makes would work. The problem I see with
that is getting a proper mix. I'm open to ideas to fertilize a lot of
orchids in a short amount of time.

Orchids that I have are Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Oncidiums, Dendrobiums,
and a few other odds and ends.

By the way did I mention cost effective? (cheap)

Any good and easily workable ideas are appreciated
Old 23-07-2009, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:31:57 GMT in dusty wrote:
I've been using Orchid fertilizer and a garden 2 gallon pump sprayer but my
addiction has far exceeded its capabilities. So I'm wondering if something
like a hose end sprayer like ortho makes would work. The problem I see with
that is getting a proper mix. I'm open to ideas to fertilize a lot of
orchids in a short amount of time.

Orchids that I have are Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Oncidiums, Dendrobiums,
and a few other odds and ends.

By the way did I mention cost effective? (cheap)

Any good and easily workable ideas are appreciated

I seem to recall one of Ray or Rob mentioning having the trashcan for
mixing fertilizer and using a shallow well pump for distributing the
fertilizer mix.

A 12V diaphragm pump will run you $50-$100
A 25 gallon ag sprayer with 12V 1GPM pump and 15 ft of sprayer hose
will run you about $120.

Now what I did discover is the miracle grow hose end sprayer doesn't
work worth a damn if hooked up to a soaker hose, insufficient flow
to dissolve the fertilizer. I'll probably pick up a couple
60 gallon barrels from a neighbor and see if I can feed a soaker
hose via siphon action for watering/fertilizing the garden.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 23-07-2009, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

A decent hose-end mixer can work, but it had better be a good one.

They, and the Hozon proportioners typically won't work with anything
downstream that restricts flow or creates much back-pressure, as they
use a venturi to draw and mix the solution.

The simplest, most reliable system I have seen is a submersible pump in
a plastic barrel.

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 26-07-2009, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi there Dusty,
The easiest cheapest way is to have a bunch of 1gal milk containers
depending
on how many orchids you have.

The next thing is a hose syphon, about $15 or there is a plastic brand
as well.
You have to have a container for these to mix your fert. They are not
precise but
if you fertilize weakly then it makes no matter. I got into the habit of
have a different
starting point each time.

I just bought an E-Z Flo 3/4 Gallon Hose Bib & Drip Conn. #2005HB(@ $
51.95 ea.)
from Berry Hill Irrigation, Inc.

My mentor told me about it & I love it. Of course there are more
expensive types.
Cheers Wendy

Old 26-07-2009, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The best way I've found is to use a hose end sprayer by Hudson. They used to
be carried by all the big box stores but have disappeared. But there are a
number of places online that carry them and they're inexpensive ($8-9 last I
looked). I mix a gallon of water with 12 tsp of fertilizer, actually several
gallon jugs so I have enough pre-dissolved and ready to go. Fill the
container on the hose end with a quart of fertilizer concentrate, set the
setting on top to 6 gallons and let 'er rip. It works pretty well even at
low flow rates. A gallon of concentrate makes 24 gallons of 1/2 tsp/ gal
fertilizer. Adjust your concentrate for different dilutions. The Hudson also
allows you to place concentrated liquids in the container and change the
setting on top to adjust the amount you want to dissolve per gallon of flow.
You do need to use good flow rates for thicker liquids like Physan or you
just don't get much. I do like to use it with Physan for spraying down the
walls and floors to keep down algae.

Old 26-07-2009, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks I think I will try your idea as the 55 gal barrel would mean I would
have to toss something like the Pandanus odoratissimus (pinapple trees) my
Okinawan sister in law gave me or my wife's Erythrina (coral bean tree) and
shell ginger plants out into the winters cold.
Yes unlike Wendy's wide open airy greenhouse both of my 8x10 greenhouses
are an impenetrable jungle especally in the winter time.

duck, twist, shuffle, crawl, squeeze means I'm must be in the greenhouse

Old 26-07-2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Spray with a fertiliser

Old 05-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Registered User

I mix a gallon of baptize with 12 tsp of fertilizer, in fact several gallon jugs so I accept abundant pre-dissolved and accessible to go. Fill the container on the corrupt end with a quart of fertilizer concentrate, set the setting on top to 6 gallons and let 'er rip. It works appealing able-bodied even at low breeze rates. A gallon of apply makes 24 gallons of 1/2 tsp/ gal fertilizer.
Grow tents