Old 24-08-2009, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Reporting in

Hi all. I've been busy working, figured I'd report in before y'all
thought I'd died or something. We held a Speaker's Day in Sacramento
featuring Roy Tokunaga, Ron McHatton and Carlos Fighetti as well as
short culture sessions with Alan Koch and Dennis Olivas as well as the
above. Had a great time, learned a lot, great public support even from
the newbies. I think people thirst for knowledge at a higher level than
we give them credit for. The center didn't lose too much money as a
group and I bought some decent orchids (kovachii hybrid seedlings and a
blue phal). Since then I've been repotting (yes, stuff is still rooting)
and generally taking care of my orchids. Haven't had time to take
pictures. Or maybe its I haven't had the inclination to take pictures,
LOL! Been musing on orchids as a way of life. Not a hobby for those
who like to travel. Or otherwise get sidetracked. Hence they become the
end itself, I suppose. You gotta like them and the people who grow
them. The club held a greenhouse tour, was impressed that Fordyce is
still making standard catt crosses. He's the one that got me started
thinking about orchids as a lifestyle. Some folks ride Harleys. Some
boat. I grow orchids. Wish we'd stop thinking we're failures if people
don't get as enthused as we do and drop out. Its not a reflection on
us. Orchids ain't for everyone. The club's BBQ was yesterday, fewer
people but I'm betting we still made the same amount of money. I know I
repotted with an eye to giving away divisions at the BBQ, so had 20-25
to bring to the table this year. Many sold well. Lord knows I need the
bench space. This year the 2.5 in pots are all moved up to 4". Temps
in the GH have been all over the map - Highs over 95F, lows to 62F.
Fewer sheathes and spikes.... I think the GH needs to cool off more at
night. we'll see. But I did get a ascda to bloom so that's something,
LOL! The Vandas like the temps. I will say since repotting new roots
are popping out all over. Amazing the way that works... I want to go
to the Trustees meeting in LA in Oct, but have once again over-committed
myself. There'll be a show in Fresno, our show and the Trustee's
meeting all in the same 10 day period. Plus employment...so no
Trustees. Well, there. That's it. SOSDD.

You?

K Barrett

Old 24-08-2009, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

any good AOS gossip from fighetti?

--j_a
Old 24-08-2009, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

jankey wrote:
any good AOS gossip from fighetti?

--j_a

Ya know, I didn't really pay attention to that part of the program,
LOL!! For all the grousing I do around here you'd a thunk I'd have laid
in to them. But I was too busy buying orchids. [Mmmmmmmmm, orchids.]
I did open my mouth enough to say I thought the AOS membership had
finally gotten down to the nitty-gritty hard-core orchid addict and so
'Orchids' could now start supplying orchid information at the caliber
and level of what we were given that day and that beginners were
certainly capable of running to catch up. I don't think the crowd liked
being compared to a bunch of crack addicts though...*G* I said I liked
the monthly newsletters, and so did the crowd. After that the lure of
blue phals drew me from the room and I spent a few more dollars than I'd
intended. Who's not addicted?

Old 25-08-2009, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"What I Did Last Summer"

By
Diana

We usually get a break in July and August (the society doesn't meet in
summer), but not so much this year. We're going through the process of
obtaining federal 501c3 status. We hired an accountant to do it; it's just
too complicated for a lay person. You could fill out all the paperwork, but
it's the little naggy details that only a pro understands that get the app
sent back by return mail.

So I just finished a narrative about our activities; it's amazing to read it
with everything laid out. We do an awful lot for the community at large,
neverminding the members. Next is a rewrite of the bylaws, but I'm waiting
until after another meeting with the CPA. Suffice to say that the new ones
will be a hell of a lot more complicated than the current set. Newsletter
needs to go out this week, too. At least I broke my writer's block. That
doesn't happen to me often. Usually I can knock off stuff like this without
even thinking twice about it.

Repotting fell by the wayside this year. We did manage to top the Vandas,
which have been blooming their heads off all year. There are some Phals
which *must* be done, and soon. Like next week. Things are still growing, so
I can do a few more.

Frank is way better. That's more important than anything else.

Orchids as a life style - I have thought about that often. I do know folks
who gave up on them, keeping a couple of plants, perhaps, but did not drink
the Kool Ade. (Aid?) Frank and I are drunk on the stuff, just like most
people on this board. Where to go for a night or two, once in a while?
First, look at where the shows and growers are. After you get to a certain
number of plants (I don't know what that number is), much of what you do
revolves around them

And I don't regret it one bit.

Diana

Old 25-08-2009, 09:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We went through the 501c3 stuff when the center opened 3 yrs ago. It
still turns my head. Right now I'm going around with whether center
personnel traveling to the Trustees meeting get business mileage or
charity mileage. I used to ask my accountant that sort of question but
he hasn't been returning my emails, so I guess I'm persona non-grata.
Guess I'll be looking for a new accountant, too. [sigh] Too many
decisions to make. Some people put life affirmations on their checks or
chant. My mantra is 'Don't make me think.'

Which is when I go into the GH and - [gasp] - water. (You should all be
picking yourselves up off the floor.) Heck I even got a bulbophyllum to
bloom! two spikes! One of those umbel types - the dead common one I can
never remember the name of.

I may even feed next weekend.

Old 26-08-2009, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It was a Phal bellina var coerulea 'Orchidview' x Phal violacea 'Blue
Chip' from HP Norton. Its smaller than the one awarded on the CSNJC
homepage. But the example plant was very blue.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Registered User

The centermost didn't lose too abundant money as a group and I bought some appropriate orchids (kovachii amalgam seedlings and a blue phal). Since again I've been repotting (yes, being is still rooting) and about demography affliction of my orchids. Haven't had time to take pictures.
Grow tents