Old 28-10-2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phalaenopsis Orchids

Is this group dead or is someone available to answer a question or
two about moth orchids. I've been given one and have never had an
orchid before.

Old 29-10-2009, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve - Look up "Phalaenopsis - Orchids of the World", and you will find out
a lot of interesting info pn these plants and how to care for them.

All the best.....Chuck.

Old 29-10-2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We're not dead, but many of us have no access to UseNet anymore. We've moved
to other venues. Stick by, and tomorrow I'll give you links.

Meanwhile, what is your question about Phalaenopsis? Those of us here would
be willing to help.

Diana

Old 29-10-2009, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article ,
says...

Steve - Look up "Phalaenopsis - Orchids of the World", and you will find out
a lot of interesting info pn these plants and how to care for them.

All the best.....Chuck.

snip

Thanks for the reference.

Old 29-10-2009, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve (the new one) wrote:

How do you tell the difference between the beginning of a flower
spike and a root starting?

I transplanted this from a little 4 inch pot to a 6 inch pot and now
there's dark tipped white bodied shoots coming off the base of the
plant where it's meeting the soil, and it's putting out a new leaf.

"White bodied shoots" would be roots. A flower spike would be green all
the way. New roots and a new leaf isn't a bad deal though. It means your
plant is fairly happy and healthy.
It can be a bit hard to tell the difference between a new spike and a
new root during the first days it starts showing. A new root tip will be
round like looking at the end of a bullet. A new spike is often
(always?) compressed on the sides so that it doesn't appear to be round.
Also, flower spikes emerge only in line with the leaves, often punching
though the base of a leaf. Roots can emerge in any direction around the
base.

Steve (the old one)
Old 29-10-2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

'but i'm not dead yet!' [/monty python]

sorry, what was the question?

yes i agree, probably roots. depends on the type of plant though.

--j_a
Old 29-10-2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

How do you tell the difference between the beginning of a flower
spike and a root starting?

Flower spikes have nodes. Even a very young spike will show signs of these
nodes. A root on the other hand will be completely smooth from the plant to
the growing tip.

Old 29-10-2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article -
september.org, says...

Steve (the new one) wrote:

[...]

Ok, they're roots. I just took a look at it and
there are seven of them on the surface of the
planting medium headed for the edge. They're
almost there. Who knows how many underneath?

The largest set of leaves are now 12
inches/30.5cm from tip to tip.

I had trimmed the expired flower spike back to
about 3 inches but no new spike so far.

I think I'll call it Audrey Jr.

Seymour K.