Old 25-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Rob Halgren

Default so speaking of snow...

I hear tell up in your neck of the woods some winters you have to
leave by the second story windows....G or is that a "when I was
a child we walked to school in the blizzard. It was up hill all
the way and walked home up hill at the end of the day." story?
I think it is actually Northern Minnesota, not Michigan, even the
UP.

That has never happened to me, although the snow was a lot higher
when I was a child... *grin*

My problem today is melting snow. I just can not seem to seal the
center seam on the gh. The snow melt comes dripping thru. We even
put a gutter up to catch it and take it to the end of the rows
where it could run down without hitting the plants. But it
manages to have a drip, bounce problem anyway.
SuE

You sure it isn't just condensation? If you do have snow on top of
the roof, you are probably going to get condensation on the inside.
Drip, drip, drip...

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 25-02-2003, 06:54 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Hey Janet - I used to live in MD and belonged to the Maryland OS - might I
have known you?

"janet_a" wrote in message
om...
Susan Erickson wrote in message

. ..

--aka janet_a

It did not make the news here.. or I did not see it. Tax time -
I miss a lot. Where was this ble..... I mean catastrophe?
Did the big storm back east cause it?
SuE

oh i'm sure this didn't make the news anywhere; oh you mean the
walmart-! ;-) that was in leesburg (VA) (and i was responding to ray
and thinking "Al"--sorry ray! ;-) ; the toys r us in lanham (MD)
collapsing was all over the news; a barn in poolesville (MD) caved
in; the O st market in DC came in; a bunch of stray schools in DC and
MD either caved in or were threatening to; they were using snow
blowers on the roofs out in garrett county (MD); nobody (human or
equine) hurt anywhere that i know of. roofs in my neighborhood (MD)
were leaking all over the place; the local giant grocery store was
also raining inside on saturday. :-)

ah the joys of winter....

--aka janet_a

Old 25-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:27:32 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote:

My problem today is melting snow. I just can not seem to seal the
center seam on the gh. The snow melt comes dripping thru. We even
put a gutter up to catch it and take it to the end of the rows
where it could run down without hitting the plants. But it
manages to have a drip, bounce problem anyway.
SuE

You sure it isn't just condensation? If you do have snow on top of
the roof, you are probably going to get condensation on the inside.
Drip, drip, drip...

No - As soon as the top snow melts it will quit. It is coming
thru where the solid roof meets the Aluminum frame. The joint
has been water proofed every way we could think of, including
caulk, but it still leaks. The vent bends too close to put up a
"roof board" over it and cover it. So I will have to put
something under to catch it closer to the roof and channel the
water away.
SuE
Old 26-02-2003, 02:15 AM
test

In article m,
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote:

Hey Janet - I used to live in MD and belonged to the Maryland OS - might I
have known you?

i doubt it--i only started torturing orchids last year. :-) where are
you now?

you know kensington orchids is closed now right?

--aka janet_a
Old 27-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Yes, I did hear they closed up. I knew him but had never been there. The
Little Greenhouse north of Baltimore was where I bought everything - been
there? I'm now in Seattle... and have been here for almost 3 years. And we
really don't have a good local grower (maybe someday it will be me ).
You a MOS member?