Old 23-02-2003, 10:16 PM
janet_a

Default so speaking of snow...

how are you folks in the NE with hobby greenhouses doing? i just drove
by glenwood gardens in MD, and their greenhouse is a pile of rubble,
apparently having collapsed under the snow... (odd--it had a pitched
roof.) johnson's big greenhouse lost some panes of glass, but their
little inflatables seem just fine.

no disasters in this group, i hope?

--aka janet_a
Old 23-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Wendy

How very, very sad, hope they were able to save some of the plants?
Cheers Wendy

Old 23-02-2003, 11:15 PM
janet_a

In article ,
"Wendy" wrote:

How very, very sad, hope they were able to save some of the plants?
Cheers Wendy

i doubt they had a lot in there--they're technically closed for the
season. they don't do many orchids, but it reminded me forcefully of
all the folks who have little lightweight greenhouses.....

--aka janet_a
Old 23-02-2003, 11:54 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

The fact of the matter is that you should build your structures - houses,
sheds, or greenhouses - based upon the worst-case scenario.

Over the last 10 years, we've seen as much as 30" of snow and had no
problems with the greenhouse. This last weekend was 22"...ditto.

While my heart goes out to folks who lost plants (I've lost plenty to heater
failures early on, until I wizened up a bit), my gut says "you should have
known better."
--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 24-02-2003, 03:30 PM
janet_a

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message ...
The fact of the matter is that you should build your structures - houses,
sheds, or greenhouses - based upon the worst-case scenario.

you would think. so how's that walmart down by you? ;-) (not that i
am at all upset to see a walmart collapse...)

--aka janet_a

Old 24-02-2003, 03:30 PM
janet_a

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message ...
The fact of the matter is that you should build your structures - houses,
sheds, or greenhouses - based upon the worst-case scenario.

oops--strike that response; i'm confusing my orchidists. :-) (but in
general i still agree.)

--aka janet_a
Old 24-02-2003, 10:57 PM
janet_a

Susan Erickson wrote in message . ..

--aka janet_a

It did not make the news here.. or I did not see it. Tax time -
I miss a lot. Where was this ble..... I mean catastrophe?
Did the big storm back east cause it?
SuE

oh i'm sure this didn't make the news anywhere; oh you mean the
walmart-! ;-) that was in leesburg (VA) (and i was responding to ray
and thinking "Al"--sorry ray! ;-) ; the toys r us in lanham (MD)
collapsing was all over the news; a barn in poolesville (MD) caved
in; the O st market in DC came in; a bunch of stray schools in DC and
MD either caved in or were threatening to; they were using snow
blowers on the roofs out in garrett county (MD); nobody (human or
equine) hurt anywhere that i know of. roofs in my neighborhood (MD)
were leaking all over the place; the local giant grocery store was
also raining inside on saturday. :-)

ah the joys of winter....

--aka janet_a
Old 24-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Rob Halgren

oh i'm sure this didn't make the news anywhere; oh you mean the
walmart-! ;-) that was in leesburg (VA) (and i was responding to ray
and thinking "Al"--sorry ray! ;-) ; the toys r us in lanham (MD)
collapsing was all over the news; a barn in poolesville (MD) caved
in; the O st market in DC came in; a bunch of stray schools in DC and
MD either caved in or were threatening to; they were using snow
blowers on the roofs out in garrett county (MD); nobody (human or
equine) hurt anywhere that i know of. roofs in my neighborhood (MD)
were leaking all over the place; the local giant grocery store was
also raining inside on saturday. :-)

Now where I'm from (originally), we mocked people with flat roofs, and
we had a device called a snow-rake. I'd recommend getting one. It is a
long handled rake, and you pull snow off the roof with it. Fun, and
darn cold work. Imagine standing under the snow you are pulling down...
*grin* I suspect in some areas you might only use it once every 10
years, but when you need one you need one.

I'm glad nobody was hurt. People think that the danger in a blizzard is
limited to being out on the road, but there are plenty of ways to hurt
yourself by staying inside. Snow covers your furnace exhaust - big
trouble. Too much snow on the roof - we see what happens there. I
couldn't get my door open yesterday, and we'd only had 8" or so (with
weird drifting). Had to go out a door I never use. Glad I have two...

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 25-02-2003, 01:20 AM
Al

The Wal-Mart in question is right up the street. The day the snow stopped I
went there just before it closed to try to find a portable heater because my
house furnace was on the fritz and there had been no heat in the house all
weekend. They had no heaters left in stock. There was 30 inches of snow on
that roof then. A few days later with the addition of 2 or so inches of
rain the roof started to sag and they evacuated it without injury. People
in line at the Giant food store were complaining about the K-Mart store
which is closing because, I guess, the area isn't big enough for both a
Wal-Mart and a K-Mart. They were saying that it had water dripping from the
roof in sheets and every isle had more buckets on the floor than items on
the shelves. The whole area of collapsed structures in the list below is in
my basic neighborhood, if you consider the area around the capitol beltway
to be a "neighborhood".

The greenhouse was warm and toasty and survived this particular tantrum of
nature without hitch. Knock on wood.

My greenhouse was built with the maximum snow load in mind. In 1998 or 1999
I was in Key West Florida and watching on the weather channel when another
30 inch snow storm closed the area around Washington. I remember saying as
I watched the snow totals on the weather map that year that when I build my
greenhouse I will have to take these amounts into consideration. I built
something called a "Northerner" with a high pitched roof and reinforced
structure just in case it ever snowed that much again.

Some of you may know Roger Cole. His new greenhouse collapsed in the snow
storm last week. He lives midway between Washington DC and Baltimore.

Old 25-02-2003, 01:20 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:28:54 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote:

I'm glad nobody was hurt. People think that the danger in a blizzard is
limited to being out on the road, but there are plenty of ways to hurt
yourself by staying inside. Snow covers your furnace exhaust - big
trouble. Too much snow on the roof - we see what happens there. I
couldn't get my door open yesterday, and we'd only had 8" or so (with
weird drifting). Had to go out a door I never use. Glad I have two...

I hear tell up in your neck of the woods some winters you have to
leave by the second story windows....G or is that a "when I was
a child we walked to school in the blizzard. It was up hill all
the way and walked home up hill at the end of the day." story?
I think it is actually Northern Minnesota, not Michigan, even the
UP.

My problem today is melting snow. I just can not seem to seal the
center seam on the gh. The snow melt comes dripping thru. We even
put a gutter up to catch it and take it to the end of the rows
where it could run down without hitting the plants. But it
manages to have a drip, bounce problem anyway.
SuE
Old 25-02-2003, 02:16 AM
Douglas Bolt

Al,

I too know Roger Cole, but did not know his greenhouse collapsed. It is
probably too late to offer help now, but do you know if he was able to
salvage most of his plants?

doug bolt
Visit: http://www.boltassociates.com

Old 25-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Al

I spoke with him with an offer to house some of the stock he salvaged after
I heard about it but he had already found a home for them. If I remember
correctly (and obviously i don't) he pulled either $2000 worth of plants out
of the wreckage or 2000 plants. And I remember feeling heart-sick after I
shoveled my driveway to the point of exhaustion. I can not imagine how he
and his family felt digging out his prize cattleya stud plants.

It was one of two greenhouses BTW. His new one. :-#

Old 25-02-2003, 04:16 AM
Douglas Bolt

Al,

Thanks for the info. Very sad story.

Old 25-02-2003, 02:51 PM
janet_a

"Al" wrote in message ...

Some of you may know Roger Cole. His new greenhouse collapsed in the snow
storm last week. He lives midway between Washington DC and Baltimore.

from Arbec? i didn't realize they were still in business... i took
a drive out there and went looking for them a while back but didn't
find them... that's a bummer.

--aka janet_a