Old 28-04-2003, 06:20 AM
DVardner

Default Need brand names of chemicals

Due to neglect (because of both my parents being in extreme poor health- both
of them in their 80's and still living at their home) my poor orchids have the
worst scale infestation that I have ever had to deal with. Before chucking what
may be salvagable, I need the brand names of chemicals I could try. I will have
to buy them at Home Depot or a nursery so I need brand names. My cymbidiums and
reed stem epis are all fine, but the rest of my orchids are in need of help. I
have ultrafine but wonder if I need to do something else first. Also any tips
on using them would be appreciated. I will be repotting of course, but haven't
ever had to deal with this bad a problem.

Thanks,
Diane
Old 28-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Eric Hunt

Diane,

Orthene is supposed to be a great systemic insecticide against scale. I know
growers who swear by it.

I've never used it myself, so I don't have any first hand experience, but
here's a name for you to do some research on.

-Eric in SF

Old 28-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Michael Gerzog

(DVardner) wrote in message ...

Before chucking what
may be salvagable, I need the brand names of chemicals I could try. I will have
to buy them at Home Depot or a nursery so I need brand names.

Orthene is one of a few brand names for a systemic insecticide
containing acephate. Just read the labels and look for that. If you
can find it, a water soluble powder or granules is better than the
liquid, which is a petroleum base. In some parts of the country,
acephate is used in "fire ant killer", and is available in places like
HD. Otherwise you're most likely to find the emulsifiable (liquid)
version. Among other places, Rosemania.com sells the 97% Orthene
granules. If you have to keep it inside, the granules have the big
advantage of not smelling to high heaven even when sealed up in a
container -- the 75% percent powder is horrendous.

Unless you have a lot of plants or expect the problem to be ongoing,
and as long as you aren't very concerned about toxicity to people or
pets, I would go with acephate over Enstar II and the others because
of the initial cost and quick kill of the acephate. Also, acephate is
systemic and if you're going to continue to be pressed for time, it'll
give you a little more leeway in terms of repeat applications than
non-systemic products. Whatever product you use, you will have to
make repeat applications about 10 days apart.

For longer term use, the Enstar II is probably a better bet - it's one
of the rare few products that's labelled for use on "interiorscapes."
Since it's an insect growth regulator and shouldn't affect mammals,
it's certainly safer than most pest control products.

Michael
Old 28-04-2003, 09:56 PM
D. Wain Garrison

I have had success with Neem Oil on scale that came in
on new plants.

D. Wain Garrison
If you can read you can learn anything, for
there are those smarter than you who can
write, however, not everyone who can write
is smarter than you.
"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
om...

Old 29-04-2003, 03:08 AM
V_coerulea

Orthene WP and Enstar II are fantastic in combination but you're not going
to find them in Home Depot of the likes. You'll be hard pressed to find them
in a good nursery. Best bet is online. a Google search will give you some
good leads.

Old 29-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:29:34 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

also Isotox which, despite being liquid, seems more forgiving.

It's so non-phytotoxic, that it can be applied to flowers with little
risk of damage!

The active ingredient in Isotox is Lindane. It seems immediately
systemic; one treatment, and the plant never has any bugs again! It's
pretty toxic stuff for fauna.

I heard a news story recently cautioning head-lice suffers not to use
Lindane treatments repeatedly, least they suffer brain damage!

Old 30-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Paul Simon

Jim,

Thanks very much for the information. As Larry mentioned earlier, lindane
is not very good stuff to have around. It's quite persistent. The Chevron
"Isotox" went through many changes of ownership, and was at one time also
owned by Monsanto. The Ortho name at least is owned by Scott's, the
fertilizer people, but I suspect the juice is still made in the same place.

Paul

"Jim S" wrote in message
y.com...
paul
i hold in my hand an 'OLD' bottle of ISOTOX made by the chevron corp that
contains 56.5% Lindane

that is where the confusion comes from as they let the name registration

go
as of 1982 the ortho comp picked it up and ran with it

it was a good name and many people remember it

olddays= Lindane
newdays= acepate

Jim

Hope this helps everyone
"Paul Simon" wrote in message
Larry,

There seems to be some misconception that Isotox contains lindane. This
issue came up about a year ago with someone else and I commented then

also.
Perhaps there is a product with a similar name. I have a bottle of

"Isotox
Insect Killer formula IV" by Ortho in front of me. It's a liquid, and
contains: 8.0 % Acephate (Orthene) and 0.5 % Vendex (tin containing
miticide.) It is liquid, but I suspect the solvent is somthing like
NMP,n-methyl pyrrolidone, a rather innocuous water miscible solvent. If

one
has concerns about health hazards, check the MSDS at the Ortho web site.

I keep a small spray bottle with the diluted mix in the greenhouse, and

when
I see some mealybugs, I just give the plant a few sprays. I'm not aware

of
any damage to any of my plants. I do avoid spraying flowers so I cannot
comment on possible damage there.

Paul Simon

Old 01-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Larry Dighera

.. .
wrote:

also Isotox which, despite being liquid, seems more forgiving.

It's so non-phytotoxic, that it can be applied to flowers with little
risk of damage!

The active ingredient in Isotox is Lindane. It seems immediately
systemic; one treatment, and the plant never has any bugs again! It's
pretty toxic stuff for fauna.

I heard a news story recently cautioning head-lice suffers not to use
Lindane treatments repeatedly, least they suffer brain damage!

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:19:04 GMT, "Paul Simon"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you for calling my error to my attention. Indeed the active
ingredients of Ortho Isotox Insect Killer Formula IV are listed as
Acephate 8.0%
Fenbutain-oxide 0.5%
Other Ingredients 91.5%

However, there seems to be a newer formulation:
Ortho® Systemic Insect Killer
http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm?fusea...4140397103,x,x
Active Ingredients: 0.5% Fenbutatin Oxide, 8.0% Acephate
http://www.ortho.com/media/pdf/produ...t%20Killer.pdf

A search of the net found many other products with Isotox in the name
that reportedly do contain Lindane"

http://members.cox.net/lmlauman/osp/...cides_101.html
http://www.pestlaw.com/x/notice/epa/pr93-7Supp1.html
http://m2.aol.com/rccouncil/ourpage/samples.htm
http://www.kellysolutions.com/ok/sho...A_Id=239%2D229
http://hchort.ifas.ufl.edu/PDH542001.html
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/id/id21/id21.pdf
http://www.state.ma.us/dfa/pesticide...03%2 02.0.htm
http://www.sedlab.olemiss.edu/agnps/..._Data/Pest.PDF
http://www.city.palo-alto.ca.us/clea...pm/ocpests.pdf
http://www.aces.edu/department/extco...1/HB-RESTR.PDF
http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~vegnet/news/vnew1101.htm
http://www.nj.nrcs.usda.gov/ag_assis...pesticides.pdf
http://www.centralcoastdata.org/Wate...d/chemcomp.txt
Old 01-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Al

For what its worth, I am down to less than two cents so I just throw in the
little that I have left:

A scary and little known fact here is that Brand names and their active
ingredient may vary from year to year, from country to county or from state
to state. There must be a good reason for this. It probably has something
to do with changing manufacturing guidelines and the laws applicable in
various jurisdictions where the chemical is sold. Anyway, the various
formulations; i.e. liquid, granular, powder, etc may also contain different
active ingredients as well as different "inert" ingredients but inert does
not mean it won't harm plants, applicators or bystanders under certain
situations.

If you have identified the insect you want to control as being "scale" then
the labels of brand names with active ingredients you find at your local
PesticideMart that control scale will list scale among the insects it
controls. Nowadays Pesticide makers seem to be using pictures of the
insects controlled by the brand name even as the reminds you to read it in
its entirety. Brand name X in California might not list scale as an insect
it controls but a bottle of brand name X in Virginia will. This might be
because they are different active ingredients but, and here's a scary
observation: Brand name X in both states might actually contain the same
ingredients but one jurisdiction does not approve it's use for scale in
over-the-counter residential type home garden applications so scale will not
be listed on the bottle that is sold there.

Almost certainly, whatever you use will require several timed applications
over several weeks. I suggest that you find two different chemicals that
control scale and alternate their application as part of a several week long
total application cycle.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:44 AM
DVardner

OK I am totally lost. I know it is scale, but far more than I can remove by
hand on some plants. Any sugggestions, besides ultrafine that I can spray on? I
really only have access to local Home Depot type stores. Hate to throw away
some really nice Catts.

Diane

Old 02-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I'd go with Orthenex or Isotox, if you cannot get Orthene WP or Enstar II

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 02-05-2003, 05:44 PM
K Barrett

Ditto. Your post reminded me that there were some equitants in my collection
that had the hard brown scale that I needed to complete the 3rd round of
treatment on. So Thanks! I got out and sprayed with the Orthenex canned
spray (Mostly for the oil) However I'll follow up with a 4th treatment
(since I let it go 2 weeks too long) of Malathion. I'm probably the only
person on earth who doesn't find the smell disagreeable. Luckily I found the
soft white scale on a different plant (catt) so I was able to spray that one
too. Thanks for the reminder.

K Barrett

"DVardner" wrote in message
OK I am totally lost. I know it is scale, but far more than I can remove

by
hand on some plants. Any sugggestions, besides ultrafine that I can

spray
on? I
really only have access to local Home Depot type stores. Hate to throw

away
some really nice Catts.

Diane

Cactus collection need names UA-Bros Garden Photos 0 25-10-2011 07:06 AM
Updated Genus names and Hybrid names files Bob Betts Orchids 0 31-01-2006 05:34 PM
Pond chemicals TomH Ponds 5 23-09-2003 07:12 AM
Vernacular names versus standardized common names [Was: botanical names of some Indian trees] P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 7 26-04-2003 02:30 PM
CO2 and other chemicals question. Sudheertivare Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:08 AM