GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Should I remove leaf? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/189111-should-i-remove-leaf.html)

YvonneD 14-01-2010 02:18 PM

Should I remove leaf?

I have a new flower spike coming out under a large leaf. It will have
a long way to grow around the leaf before it can start growing
vertically. Should I remove the leaf? The plant has four leaves and
this is the biggest. All leaves are very healthy.

On another note - every orchid I've ever bought in a nursery always
has two flower spikes. With all of my plants and the many times they
have bloomed I have never had more than one per plant. How do they do
it?

Thanks

K Barrett 14-01-2010 04:20 PM

Should I remove leaf?

YvonneD wrote:
I have a new flower spike coming out under a large leaf. It will have
a long way to grow around the leaf before it can start growing
vertically. Should I remove the leaf? The plant has four leaves and
this is the biggest. All leaves are very healthy.

On another note - every orchid I've ever bought in a nursery always
has two flower spikes. With all of my plants and the many times they
have bloomed I have never had more than one per plant. How do they do
it?

Thanks

No do not remove the leaf. Rotate the pot's orientation to the sun and
the inflorescence may grow towards the light.

K Barrett

K Barrett 14-01-2010 04:24 PM

Should I remove leaf?

YvonneD wrote:
I have a new flower spike coming out under a large leaf. It will have
a long way to grow around the leaf before it can start growing
vertically. Should I remove the leaf? The plant has four leaves and
this is the biggest. All leaves are very healthy.

On another note - every orchid I've ever bought in a nursery always
has two flower spikes. With all of my plants and the many times they
have bloomed I have never had more than one per plant. How do they do
it?

Thanks

The second question, they force them with ideal feeding schedules, light
and warmth to delay the blooming then they drop the temps to normal
range and the fattened plant just can help but throw multiple spikes.
This also throws off the plant's natural metabolism. Takes a awhile to
get it to bloom again on a normal schedule under normal conditions.

K Barrett

jankey[_2_] 15-01-2010 03:24 PM

Should I remove leaf?

it also has to do with the genetics of the plant--one of mine throws
double spikes each time it blooms, and has done so since its first
spiking. another of mine always has at least one spike going; it's in
bloom at the moment and is growing another spike.

--j_a

Uncle_vito 17-01-2010 05:30 AM

Should I remove leaf?

I always wondered about the double spikes too. Seems when I get them home
they always do singles for me.

I learned something.

Thanks

Vito

testarossa 29-03-2010 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister (Post 878975)
no dont remove it.

You don't have to remove it..
But if it is damage already, just remove but not all..