Old 30-01-2010, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Laptop questions

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I want to run the various orchid
software on it. I'm looking at a windows 7 machine. Question is: Does
AQ+ work equally as well on both the 64- and 32- versions of windows 7?
Does it prefer Home or Pro? Same question for OrchidWiz. Anyone running
these programs with Windows 7?

And for the geeks out there, which chip series is faster? The Intel
Core Duo or the i3 series? I can configure a new laptop with either
chip series. I think the i3,5,7 are geared for laptops to keep the heat
down but they are not necessarily fast, and since the AQ+ is a lot of
pictures to load I think I want fast. [note of explanation I have a
macbook and I'm always the last to load images at the judging table and
the last to be able to switch between images. I'm sick of 'Got it yet?'
from my team mates. They are always waiting for me. I have to boot up
two operating systems as well as the bridging software (parallels) That
doesn't leave much memory left to actually *operate* the program. Or so
it seems to me.]

But I don't want to just exchange one dog for another.

Looking around the web it seems the Toshibas are more reliable than
either the Sonys, HPs or Dells. I'm looking at either the M-500 series
or the U-500 series.

Any opinions?

K Barrett
Old 30-01-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Kathy,

It's probably not what you want, but I have a Fujitsu Lifebook. It's
industrial strength with good tech support. Lot's of good options to "build
your own."

Paul

Old 31-01-2010, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 08:40:43 -0800 in K Barrett wrote:
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I want to run the various orchid
software on it. I'm looking at a windows 7 machine. Question is: Does
AQ+ work equally as well on both the 64- and 32- versions of windows 7?
Does it prefer Home or Pro? Same question for OrchidWiz. Anyone running
these programs with Windows 7?

Sorry, I don't do windows.

And for the geeks out there, which chip series is faster? The Intel
Core Duo or the i3 series? I can configure a new laptop with either
chip series. I think the i3,5,7 are geared for laptops to keep the heat
down but they are not necessarily fast, and since the AQ+ is a lot of
pictures to load I think I want fast. [note of explanation I have a
macbook and I'm always the last to load images at the judging table and
the last to be able to switch between images. I'm sick of 'Got it yet?'
from my team mates. They are always waiting for me. I have to boot up
two operating systems as well as the bridging software (parallels) That
doesn't leave much memory left to actually *operate* the program. Or so
it seems to me.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core#Core_i3

If TDP wasn't a pulled from the middle back pocket, I'd say go with
the lowest priced one with the lowest max TDP (Lower TDP means less
power draw on the battery).

As for your macbook. If you're just boot it directly to Windows
instead of bothering to boot OSX, start parallels, and then boot
that to Windows. (IE use bootcamp), Windows should run quite speedily.
Power management will suck, but it probably did with parallels anyways.
The other option is see if you can get AQ+ to run under WINE.
No, I don't know how well WINE works on OSX.
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
Might help you make a decision. Remember, if it breaks, you get to keep
both parts.
Also, have you maxed out the memory on your macbook? Some macbook pros
can be expanded to 8GB RAM.

And as for me. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably be looking
at a Lenovo T510 with discrete graphics and HD+ display.

But I don't want to just exchange one dog for another.

Especially when there are some things you can do to pep up your old dog.

Looking around the web it seems the Toshibas are more reliable than
either the Sonys, HPs or Dells. I'm looking at either the M-500 series
or the U-500 series.

Any opinions?

I'm addicted to the trackpoint with 3 buttons, so it would be a Lenovo
Thinkpad for me. The last time I looked at Sonys, they looked really pretty
but fell apart if they were looked at crosseyed. I found consumer grade
Dell laptops to also fall apart easily, corporate laptops have been
hit or miss. And HP's configurators never gave me enough information as
to what is in the machine for me to be able to fairly compare them with
their competitors.
I've seen the fujitsu notebooks take an awful lot of abuse at tech
conferences, but the bulk of the ones I've seen were purchased by people
that regularly travel to Japan and bought them in Japan.

K Barrett

--
Chris Dukes
Old 31-01-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 08:40:43 -0800 in K Barrett wrote:

Actually I have one serious thought for you.

Given that it still supports Windows 98, it's highly likely it'll run
fine under WINE. I'd suggest following
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing
and then open a dialog with the AQ plus developers about problems you
encounter.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 31-01-2010, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 1/30/2010 5:26 PM, wrote:

As for your macbook. If you're just boot it directly to Windows
instead of bothering to boot OSX, start parallels, and then boot
that to Windows. (IE use bootcamp), Windows should run quite speedily.
Power management will suck, but it probably did with parallels anyways.
The other option is see if you can get AQ+ to run under WINE.
No, I don't know how well WINE works on OSX.
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
Might help you make a decision. Remember, if it breaks, you get to keep
both parts.
Also, have you maxed out the memory on your macbook? Some macbook pros
can be expanded to 8GB RAM.

Well I thought of using bootcamp. Or supposedly there's a way to run
windows programs in OSX in parallels' 'coherence mode'. I'm just too
unfamiliar with the way an apple works to dink around with it. I guess
I should take a class before I dump the thing (blush) Might help, huh?
BTW yes, the version macbook I have comes maxxed at 2GB RAM. Its the
14" screen. Other than the fact its so dang slow I love the thing.
Light, good feel to the keyboard, good color reproduction. But mostly
'cause its light. I don't feel bad hauling it around.

K Barrett

Old 31-01-2010, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 1/30/2010 9:03 AM, Paul Simon wrote:
Hi Kathy,

It's probably not what you want, but I have a Fujitsu Lifebook. It's
industrial strength with good tech support. Lot's of good options to "build
your own."

Paul

Thanks, I never even thought of Fujitsu. Everyone hates all teh other
company's tech support.

K Barrett
Old 16-02-2010, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have a sony quad which runs 7 or any of my old programs fine, even RHS
registeration 1994. It is fast. My Mac uses Snow Leopard and I added memory
to bring it up to speed.

D Wain Garrison
If you can read you can learn any thing, for there are those who can write
who are smarter than you,
however, not everyone who can write is smarter than you.

Old 16-02-2010, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

My new HP laptop just arrived. So far I've only been able to load
OrchidWiz on it becasue tehAQ+ needs a new clean install for Windows 7.
So far the response in OW is great, loads very quickly. There was a
laptop special at Costco (a huge box store in the US) so I bought the HP.

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

get your LAPTOP JUST FOR FREE.....! Im SERIOUS..... anti Edible Gardening 0 06-07-2008 10:51 AM
free laptop free rgt Plant Science 0 20-05-2008 07:52 AM
Bypass voor niet onder Linux werkende wlan op je laptop Jan Claeys Ponds 0 25-12-2007 07:30 PM
OT Laptop FS KenCo Ponds 0 09-04-2004 07:32 PM