Old 28-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Ohaius Tankervilleae

Hi, Karen: I think you mean Phaius? Ours have been blooming for a while
and are about done. BUT, if yours are making new roots, I don't think it's
a good time for a dry-treatment. Keep watering and feeding, sigh, and
figure on next spring for flowers. Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Karen" wrote in message
I have one that I have never bloomed and I need some advice.

First of all when is it suppose to bloom? Mine has new P-bulbs that are
starting to send out roots of their own. They look fairly mature but no
flowers.

I suppose this is when I should let it dry out???? (at least that is
what my info says to do.)

I feel like I am in over my head this this one.
Karen

Old 30-04-2003, 12:20 AM
V_coerulea

You don't say what size your Phaius is. As a terrestrial, Phaius spp can
grow very large. I have one in a 4 gal pot, which just finished blooming
having produced 4-6' spikes and 2-7' ones. It definately is going to need
repotting. The blooming size bulbs are all about 4-6" tall and 3-4" across
at the widest (sizes are estimates). Smaller than that, you might get a
small bloom stem but don't expect it. The foliage is all about 2' long (some
maybe a little bigger). Don't plan on growing this one under lights.

Old 30-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Karen

"Karen" wrote in message

I have one that I have never bloomed and I need some advice.

First of all when is it suppose to bloom? Mine has new P-bulbs that are
starting to send out roots of their own. They look fairly mature but no
flowers.

I suppose this is when I should let it dry out???? (at least that is
what my info says to do.)

I feel like I am in over my head this this one.
Karen

It is a Phaius (Sorry)
It is growing in a 6 inch pot.

Old 30-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Karen

"Karen" wrote in message

I have one that I have never bloomed and I need some advice.

First of all when is it suppose to bloom? Mine has new P-bulbs that are
starting to send out roots of their own. They look fairly mature but no
flowers.

I suppose this is when I should let it dry out???? (at least that is
what my info says to do.)

I feel like I am in over my head this this one.
Karen

They need to be repotted. Can I do that without hurting them?
Karen

Old 01-05-2003, 06:44 AM
profpam

Karen,

I have a Phaius tankervilleae, which has bloomed ever year since I
purchased it, in the greenhouse underneath the bench on the east side.
It gets a bit of indirect morning sunlight, is keep on the moist side
via a self-watering plastic pot, and is given intermediate conditions.
It certainly is not large and productive as v_coerulas -- You certainly
have a beautiful plant, V_coerulea!
.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 02-05-2003, 02:08 AM
corybas

Where are you located?

I live in Melbourne, Australia, whereas the species originally comes from
Queensland so it grows inside all the time, temperature in winter therefore
between 13 - 20 degrees Celsius. It gets filtered, northwest sunlight.

It flowers in late spring, ie October-November for us.

I keep it in a self-watering pot in a mix of pine bark, soil and white river
gravel. As it is a swamp grower, I don't think it should be left to dry
out, so I have it in a self-watering pot. If you let it get too dry or hot,
leaves will develop unsightly charcoal grey areas around the edges.

Spikes will easily grow up to 2 metres, I've had as many as 18 flowers on
the spikes.

Corybas

Old 02-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Karen

"Karen" wrote in message

I have one that I have never bloomed and I need some advice.

First of all when is it suppose to bloom? Mine has new P-bulbs that are
starting to send out roots of their own. They look fairly mature but no
flowers.

I suppose this is when I should let it dry out???? (at least that is
what my info says to do.)

I feel like I am in over my head this this one.
Karen

Wisconsin in the US.
Can I re-pot it now?
Karen