Old 11-04-2010, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Second flower spike - is this a problem?

First I complain that I only see two flower spikes on phals from a
nursery and now I have a plant growing a second spike and I'm
worried. Just can't satisfy some people!

I have a white phal. This is my most important orchid because it's
the last one my husband bought for me before he died. Usually this
plant has flowers for about 7 - 8 months. After I cut down the old
spike it starts to grow a new one within a month. It's the most
active phal that I have.

I noticed that the lower leaves were starting to look somewhat
yellow. One was bad enough to be cut off. It has 7 leaves right
now. The 2 lower leaves are turning yellow and the 3rd is starting to
feel slightly wrinkled. The others look good.

The plant has a spike now with 8 beautiful blooms. When I was
watering it today I noticed that a second spike was starting. Is this
why the leaves are going? Should I cut off the second spike or is it
OK to let it grow?

I can't believe I'm thinking of cutting off a flower spike but I
really don't want to lose this plant.

I've been successfully growing phals for about 8 years now and I'm
very careful not to over water.

What should I do?

thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

My opinion is that if a plant has the energy to put out flower spikes,
let it. It is "forcing" additional branching and blooming by cutting
old spikes that drains their energy.

The leaf loss could be perfectly normal, but I'd also be concerned about
the condition of the medium and its effect on the roots.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com
Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books
Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!

[...]

Ray

Thanks for the response. What do you mean about you're concerned
about the medium? I always change the medium when I plant is finished
blooming, in the case of this plant that was last September.

Are you suggesting I change it now?

Chelsea Flower Show 3: Second Prize Mad Cow Garden Photos 9 30-05-2014 10:41 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 04:38 AM
offer:flower pot,Products including Ceramic Flower Pot,Imitate Porcelain Flower Pot,Wood Flower Pot,Stone Flower Pot,Imitate Stone Flower Pot,Hanging Flower Pot,Flower Pot Wall Hanging,Bonsai Pots,Root Carving&Hydroponics Pots [email protected] Texas 0 07-09-2004 07:55 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 07:43 PM
cutting spike part-way a second time? J Fortuna Orchids 1 25-01-2004 12:32 PM