Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Registered User

Exclamation Glyphosate

I have heard that Glyphosate is the key chemical and in all weed killers, but in small amounts. Therefore making the weed killer not very affective. Can Glyphosate be purchased undiluted? If so where can I purchase some? as the conventional weed killers don't have much effect.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Glyphosate

It's called Roundup (Monsanto) and it's available everywhere and is
available in generic packages. It doesn't work well on brush, poison ivy,
poison oak. That's where you use 2,4D or 2,4,5 T.

Paul

--
Rick Davies

Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:22:04 -0400 in Rick Davies wrote:

I have heard that Glyphosate is the key chemical and in all weed
killers, but in small amounts. Therefore making the weed killer not
very affective. Can Glyphosate be purchased undiluted? If so where can
I purchase some? as the conventional weed killers don't have much
effect.

1) This doesn't belong in rec.gardens.orchids... but since traffic
has been so heavy...

2) Read the effing label. Many broad spectrum weed killers are dilute
glyphosate. Many are diluted 2,4-d for broadleaf control. And there
are many more fun things for crabgrass control.

3) Where you purchase some depends on where you are. I tend to go to
local ag supply stores and buy a large jug of concentrate.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:32:30 -0700 in Paul Simon wrote:
It's called Roundup (Monsanto) and it's available everywhere and is
available in generic packages. It doesn't work well on brush, poison ivy,
poison oak. That's where you use 2,4D or 2,4,5 T.

I found that glyphosate was fairly effective on poison ivy with
about a table spoon of hand dish washing soap added to a gallon of
mixed glyphosate, but does require a 2nd or 3rd spraying at
10-14day intervals.
Amine type 2,4-D performed slightly better for initial burn down.
Ester type 2,4-D performs very well for initial burn down, but has
a tendency of killing things that weren't sprayed.
These also required additional spraying for large poison ivy
infestations.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

All the farmers are using genetically engineered roundup tolerant crops and
regularly spraying roundup on the fields to keep the weeds at bay. Over the
past decade or two the genetically engineered crops have changed the way
farmers grow crops. Thing is super weeds are starting to show up which are
also roundup tolerant. This time of year the super weeds really show up and
I have enjoyed checking out fields as I drive around. Looks like we have at
least 3 or 4 different types of super weeds around here. Some fields have
real problems while other fields are showing no weeds. This is going to be
a real problem soon if a Roundup II does not show up soon.

Pat

Old 20-06-2010, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 6/11/2010 9:07 PM, Pat Brennan wrote:
All the farmers are using genetically engineered roundup tolerant crops and
regularly spraying roundup on the fields to keep the weeds at bay. Over the
past decade or two the genetically engineered crops have changed the way
farmers grow crops. Thing is super weeds are starting to show up which are
also roundup tolerant. This time of year the super weeds really show up and
I have enjoyed checking out fields as I drive around. Looks like we have at
least 3 or 4 different types of super weeds around here. Some fields have
real problems while other fields are showing no weeds. This is going to be
a real problem soon if a Roundup II does not show up soon.

Pat

I like to think that if I was a farmer, and had a batch of those
resistant weeds, I would do what ever it took to keep them from going to
seed. If necessary, using a flame thrower and sacrificing part of the
crop to kill them. Cheaper to do that rather than have them infest the
whole field.

Steve

Old 20-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Registered User

Glysophate in too stronger solutions is more ineffective as it is less able to translocate. Its not only in Monsanta's 'Roundup' and not an exclusive chemical to Monsanta. Eg. Clinic Ace is an example of another brand. You can but stronger concentrations online like Roundup ProBiactive etc but you should be certified.

You could also try Ammonium sulphamate for stubborn weeds, its another translocated chemical that was banned by the EC for no particular reason but is still available as a compost accelerator.

To be honest I think Monsanta's lobbying of the EC is about as strong as it is in the US which is very sad considering 99% of our UK laws come straight from Brussels.
Old 20-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Registered User

For a selective weedkiller for couch grass and any other monocotes, Fusilade is good. But now only available 5 litre quantities for farm spraying.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered User

I have heard that Glyphosate is the key chemical and in all weed killers, but in small amounts. Therefore making the weed killer not very affective. Can Glyphosate be purchased undiluted? If so where can I purchase some? as the conventional weed killers don't have much effect.

glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 04:43 PM
Glyphosate Huskies4all Roses 7 29-05-2003 06:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 11:45 AM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 7 12-05-2003 08:56 PM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 12:45 PM