Old 23-06-2010, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default HELP flowers dying

I have 9 phals (I know that's nothing). They are all blooming and
they have all bloomed 4 or 5 times before. I water them with
fertilized water once a week and they have thrived.

All of a sudden two of them are losing their blooms. The flowers are
dying from the newest to the oldest so I know for sure there's a
problem. The plants are otherwise very healthy and are growing new
leaves. They don't look like they need to be repotted.

I always change the potting medium when they finish blooming so I
don't think that's the problem either.

Nothing has changed that I can think of. The other plants are fine so
far.

Any ideas?

thanks

Jane
Old 25-06-2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jane,

I don't know where you are, but for most of us in the States, most Phals
have gone by. The exceptions are some summer blooming species, along with a
few that have been forced.

Since you have bloomed these several times, I'm going to assume that you are
aware of their blooming times and cycles.

Check for bugs, especially thrips. These are tiny and make marks on the
flowers. They can zip through a spike very quickly. Also check for spider
webs, as you could have spider mites, though those usually attack the
leaves.

Anyway, could it just be that they are at the end of their bloom cycle? If
they are growing new leaves, that seems extremely possible. It takes a lot
of energy to support a bloom, so Phal leaves usually grow when the blooms
are either gone or going.

HTH
Diana