Old 30-04-2003, 04:46 AM
beck

Default Question

I have a Brassavola Little Stars that I bought blooming several months ago.
Today I found a pod on it. What do you do with a pod? Is it likely to have
fertile seeds?
Thanks for any advice
Rebecca

Old 30-04-2003, 03:32 PM
daniel bach

"beck" wrote in
m...
I have a Brassavola Little Stars that I bought blooming several months

ago.
Today I found a pod on it. What do you do with a pod? Is it likely to have
fertile seeds?

Unfortunately it's not that easy,
orchid seeds can't grow alone, they need a kind of fungus, to get nutrients
from him,
because orchid seeds are so small, they don't carry any nutrients with
themself.
Usually those seeds are grown with this fungus in a sterile laboratory...
too much complexity to do it because of one small pot...
But usually you can give it to a orchid-gardener, who has such a
laboratory...
He will take care of it then, but I don't know any possibility to grow it at
home...

Old 30-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Rebecca,

I would cut the seed pod off. Pods suck a lot of energy and nutrients out
of the plant that could much better be used to enhance plant growth.

Mick

m...

Old 01-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Diana Kulaga

Rebecca,

In addition to what's already been said, unless you pollinated this yourself
there's no way to know what you'd have at the end, even if the process was
feasible.

Diana