GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How many different kinds of orchids are there? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/193482-how-many-different-kinds-orchids-there.html)

mycoolgirl 01-09-2010 12:14 PM

How many different kinds of orchids are there?

I read an article in a very old National geographic magazine long ago about orchids and I was amazed about how many there were with new variety's being discovered every year. This makes curious about how many are catalogued now. Any help available would be appreciated.

aaronstone911 07-01-2011 07:06 PM

Both types of orchids are epiphytic and terrestrial orchids. terrestrial orchid species from orchids growing in the soil. Epiphytes are orchids that grow on trees. Both terrestrial and epiphytes may be one of two ways - new shoots can appear along with the initial growth causing the orchid to spread, and new outbreaks can be added to the increases in the peak height of orchids.

Juliyana 11-03-2011 06:15 AM

There are nearly upwards of 150 currently accepted orchids around the world.

foam 26-04-2011 11:19 AM

As per I know- The two types of orchids are terrestrial orchids and epiphytes.

Terrestrial orchids include orchid species that grow on the ground. Epiphytes are orchid species that grow in trees.

Both terrestrials and epiphytes can grow in one of two ways - new shoots can appear alongside the original growth causing the orchid to spread, or new growth can be added to the apex which increases the height of the orchid.