Old 15-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered User

Default Help My Vanda Orchid Poorly

I have it growing in a glass vase method but now roots are turning black I think the roots are rotting.

Is there anthing I can do?
Old 16-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotkat View Post
I have it growing in a glass vase method but now roots are turning black I think the roots are rotting.

Is there anthing I can do?
i think you can
Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Registered User

Location: italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotkat View Post
I have it growing in a glass vase method but now roots are turning black I think the roots are rotting.

Is there anthing I can do?
Put the vanda orchid in a large wooden basket, fill and loosely cover with coarse bark or horticultural charcoal. Place the basket in a location that will allow room for the roots to hang loosely over the side of the basket.

Keep the orchid at a constant daytime temperature between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit and a nighttime temperature between 65 and 75 degrees. Bring vanda orchids inside during any extremely hot or cold weather

Ensure vanda orchids receive full sunlight in the morning and evening but shade during the hottest hours of the day, usually between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. The leaves should be pale green in color. Darker shades indicate the orchid is receiving too much sunlight and should be placed in more shade

Use a spray bottle to lightly mist vanda orchids during weather with low humidity, or when located inside for winter. A humidifier can be used if the plant is going to be inside for long periods of time.

Feed vanda orchids once a month year-round. Use a high nitrogen 25-9-9 fertilizer to stimulate the growth of flowers. Always use a liquid fertilizer and follow the manufacturer's directions for proper application.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered User

Hi......

It is not as hard as many people think to grow orchids or to have healthy orchids. Orchids do require attention weekly and if you are completely new to growing orchids, you will want to acquire some basic knowledge about them from information sites online, books, magazines or even by joining a club or society dedicated to growing orchids.

Let's take a look at some of the ways to guarantee your orchids will be healthy.

You need to provide enough light. Orchids should receive on average ten hours of medium light every day. If growing in your home, a window exposed to the south is an excellent choice. Windows facing north usually do not give or receive enough light and those to the east or west have too few hours of good light. In the summer, you may need to use drapes to defuse light that is too bright.
Old 15-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walia View Post
Hi......

It is not as hard as many people think to grow orchids or to have healthy orchids. Orchids do require attention weekly and if you are completely new to growing orchids, you will want to acquire some basic knowledge about them from information sites online, books, magazines or even by joining a club or society dedicated to growing orchids.

Let's take a look at some of the ways to guarantee your orchids will be healthy.

You need to provide enough light. Orchids should receive on average ten hours of medium light every day. If growing in your home, a window exposed to the south is an excellent choice. Windows facing north usually do not give or receive enough light and those to the east or west have too few hours of good light. In the summer, you may need to use drapes to defuse light that is too bright.
Thankyou it was looking like I may lost my 2 vandas but I have been spraying roots and they are turning grren so fingers crossed.

But on abetter note I have my 1st ever phal rebloom buds nearly open today.

Old 15-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered User

Location: guang dong, china

how many times you water it and how much each time?
__________________
Tony
www.cidly.com
Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered User

Well about Orchid I would like to tell that it needs the great amount of proper sunlight and water.
Proper care should be taken for its growth and if needed some books are available in market related to it.It should be read and must follow the tips mentioned there.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotkat View Post
I have it growing in a glass vase method but now roots are turning black I think the roots are rotting.

Is there anthing I can do?
Roots turning black meant that the orchid has been over watered. Reduce the water or if possible transfer it to a different container. Vandas does not usually need a lot of water, so placing them on a container with chunks of charcoal might be best for them to thrive. And a little spray of water daily would be enough for them.