Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default plant dying, need Help!

One of my phals has suddenly turned limp. All the leaves, even the
new ones, are limp and some are starting to wrinkle. The plant is
also currently producing a new flower spike, about 3" high.

I removed the plant from the pot and saw that all of the submerged
roots were rotted. I cut them all off, replace the medium and
repotted it. However, there are no roots left in the medium. I tried
to cover some of the air roots with potting medium. Should I have
done that?

I have about a dozen phals. They are all years old and all are on
their 4th or 5th blooming. They are all in front of the same
window. I water them once a week, using Shultz orchid food. The
others are thriving and either in bloom or growing new spikes.

Is there anything more I should do for my sick patient? I don't see
anything on the leaves that appear to be a fungus. While I know that
rotted roots would normally mean over watering, the potting medium was
not wet when I changed it. It's exactly the same medium that I use
for all of my plants. They are all in clear plastic pots with
drainage holes. The medium is Shultz Orchid Mix.

Help!

Thanks

Jane
Old 05-01-2011, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Does the media stink? That would reinforce the rotting idea. I would
sacrafice the spike and cut it off. Your plant needs energy to stay alive
that it would be giving to grow the spike.

The orchid food may be giving it extra nutrients for rot to grow. I only
fertilize once a month. Go with pure water while it is sick.

I think there is nothing you can do to save this plant. It needs the roots
and without them, it is curtains. In the winter the water requirements are
much less than in the summer. Once a week doesn't appear too bad but you
have to let the media get dry between waterings to be super safe from rot.

Vito