Old 31-03-2011, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Are vanilla bean seeds viable?

From grocery store vanilla beans? (for practicing orchid embryo culture)

-Bob
Old 31-03-2011, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mar 30, 4:49*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
*From grocery store vanilla beans? (for practicing orchid embryo culture)

-Bob

Now that's an interesting question.... I'd assume since the pod is
sorta dried the seeds aren't viable anymore, but hey, you don't know
until you try. Orchids are tough plants. I'd also wonder if teh
manufacturer might treat the pod chemically to prevent fungus or other
rotting and prolong shelf-life. But really I have no idea.

K Barrett
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
From grocery store vanilla beans? (for practicing orchid embryo culture)
According to the Wiki article on vanilla Vanilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the pods are "killed" by heat treatment as the first stage of processing after harvesting.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 15:46:15 +0000, echinosum
wrote:

zxcvbob;916534 Wrote:
From grocery store vanilla beans? (for practicing orchid embryo culture)

According to the Wiki article on vanilla 'Vanilla - Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla) the pods are
"killed" by heat treatment as the first stage of processing after
harvesting.

Even if the seeds are obtained from pre-treated pods they are very
difficult to pollinate.

Vanilla pods can be smoked! Has anyone tried it?

Steve

Old 15-07-2012, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Larry Dighera's Avatar
Registered User

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:39:45 -0700 (PDT), K Barrett
wrote in
:

I'd assume since the pod is
sorta dried the seeds aren't viable anymore, but hey, you don't know
until you try. Orchids are tough plants. I'd also wonder if teh
manufacturer might treat the pod chemically to prevent fungus or other
rotting and prolong shelf-life. But really I have no idea.

K Barrett

As I recall, fermentation of the capsule is part of the preparation of
commercial vanilla. If so, I would expect the embryos to be
non-viable, and in any event, it would be next to impossible to
disinfect them.

http://www.perfumerflavorist.com/fla...c/3429981.html
The flavor industry, in particular, is especially interested in
understanding the formation of the typical vanilla flavor complex from
the tasteless precursors present in the green bean, and much effort
has gone into the analysis of the volatile components of the cured
brown vanilla bean.

Of specific interest to us was the elucidation of the fate of the
vanillin during the traditional curing process, once it has been
liberated via endogenous enzymatic hydrolysis of the corresponding
glycoside, glucovanillin. It is known that physical losses occur
during a number of the steps that are inherent to the traditional
fermentation and drying process, and chemical losses occur via
oxidative conversion into structurally related materials during the
monthlong curing process.2 Other chemical losses are due to its
participation in the Maillard reaction, a process that gives the cured
beans their typical dark brown color.

http://www.indianetzone.com/1/vanilla.htm