GardenBanter.co.uk

GardenBanter.co.uk (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/)
-   Orchids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/)
-   -   Orchid assistance requested. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/200192-orchid-assistance-requested.html)

octatonic 28-10-2011 09:21 PM

Orchid assistance requested.
 
2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my orchid and how to treat it?
The orchid is inside in potting mix.
We are trying not to over-water the plant.
I did put a few drops of Orchid Grow in the pot about 3 weeks ago.
Any ideas gratefully received.

RayC 28-10-2011 11:54 PM

Orchid assistance requested.
 
On 10/28/2011 12:21 PM, octatonic wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my orchid and how to treat it?
The orchid is inside in potting mix.
We are trying not to over-water the plant.
I did put a few drops of Orchid Grow in the pot about 3 weeks ago.
Any ideas gratefully received.


+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Filename: IMG00127-20111028-2000.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14478|
|Filename: IMG00126-20111028-1959.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14479|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+



Pull it out of the mix and inspect the roots. It looks like typical rot
from over watering. That could be the potting mix or the pot not
allowing thorough drainage. If the roots are sound, wash the plant and
remove the rotted stuff and replant in airy medium (we use bark chunks)
in a self draining pot (we use plastic post with side and bottom holes
and just set that in a decorative pot to keep the drainage from going
all over). If you think you have a fungus, try some cinnamon powder
sprinkled over the area. It works great for me!

Good luck.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
www.CompressorStuff.com

octatonic 29-10-2011 11:51 AM

Thanks Ray,

I will try this today.
You are right, the pot is in a non-self-draining pot.

What mix of dirt/bark/anything else do I need?

many thanks.

RayC 30-10-2011 07:45 AM

Orchid assistance requested.
 
On 10/29/2011 2:51 AM, octatonic wrote:
Thanks Ray,

I will try this today.
You are right, the pot is in a non-self-draining pot.

What mix of dirt/bark/anything else do I need?

many thanks.


+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+




I just use medium Orchid Bark chips. Fine stuff or dirt holds too much
moisture and can rot the roots. Your plant doesn't need any dirt ...
just enough chips or bark to keep it upright in the pot.

Good luck!
--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
www.CompressorStuff.com

octatonic 31-10-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayC (Post 940656)
On 10/29/2011 2:51 AM, octatonic wrote:
Thanks Ray,

I will try this today.
You are right, the pot is in a non-self-draining pot.

What mix of dirt/bark/anything else do I need?

many thanks.


+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+




I just use medium Orchid Bark chips. Fine stuff or dirt holds too much
moisture and can rot the roots. Your plant doesn't need any dirt ...
just enough chips or bark to keep it upright in the pot.

Good luck!
--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Coltri Sub High Pressure Breathing Air Compressors from Ray Contreras Sales

Thank you.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
GardenBanter