Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Default New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:

Sorry to repeat what may have been posted before, I've been researching online how to help my orchid get healthy again but I'd like advice specific to my orchid.

I have never cared for an orchid (or really a plant!) before, but I understand the basics of how to care for them. My boyfriend bought me an orchid which I have now had about a month - but it is looking poorly! It is a Phalaenopsis.

I'm watering it once a week, though in the second week I definitely gave it too much water and drained in by tipping the pot gently. This was the next day as I saw the water was sitting on the orchid, which I know is pretty bad as orchids are meant to almost dry out before you water them again. I also have a drip feeder which is supposed to last months, and I have two spares as back up.

I've now moved my orchid closer to the window, it wasn't in a dark place before but I thought more direct light might help.

The leaves are still green, strong, waxy and healthy. And the tall green plant stems seem healthy as well. However, the spikes and browning and the buds are falling off. I know orchids drop their blooms and the spikes brown but I'm concerned as some of the roots at the bottom have come out of the soil and they are brown and look dead. Also there seems to be something white and moist in the soil of the pots, although not a lot.

Most websites suggest repotting but this seems to be for orchids that have looked like they are dying after a while, whereas I have only had my plant a month.

In addition, does anybody know a good website for me to order the right things to repot my plant in? I live in a city centre without a car so garden centres are quite far away.

I have posted some pictures.

I'm really quite worried about my orchid, I really appreciate any help!
Attached Thumbnails
New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-078.jpg   New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-079.jpg   New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-080.jpg   New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-081.jpg
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

First, get it out of that ceramic pot. You will probably find that the plant
is in another clear(ish) plastic pot which should enable you to see the
state of the roots. If they are greyish or white with a greenish growing tip
they ar alive, if black and slimey looking they have rotted.
If the roots look ok keep the inner pot out of the ceramic and let it dry
out completly before watering again give it as much light as you can barring
direct sunlight, keep it warm(not over a radiator). If the temperature if
comfortable for you it should fine for the plant.
You can k keep the plant in the ceramic outer pot if you like but always
take it out when you water it and let drain befor returning it. Don't water
by time table let the plant and the compost tell you when.

Orchids are generally potted in bark chips. You may well find that a
hardware store that sells gardening stuff may well keep small bags of orchid
compost.
You can buy it by mail-order but it costs a fortune in carriage. Try Burnham
Nururies http://www.orchids.uk.com/.
Your plant didn't look too bad, it should be saveable, afterall it it wants
to live as much as you do.
Good luck and look forward to getting your next orchid.

"clare92" wrote in message

[...]

|Filename: iPhone again 078.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14482|
|Filename: iPhone again 079.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14483|
|Filename: iPhone again 080.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14484|
|Filename: iPhone again 081.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14485|

clare92

New plant & orchid owner...How do I remove faded flowers yatmei Orchids 6 20-03-2006 03:55 PM
New Orchid owner, can someone provide advise? ext237 Orchids 3 12-03-2006 01:47 AM
New bamboo owner Amberinauburn Bamboo 2 18-12-2003 02:27 AM
Surprised owner of an orchid Sue Mack Orchids 4 21-11-2003 05:02 AM
New home owner needs tips or advice on taking care of grass. Please Help!!! TIA!! Daniel Lawns 0 26-06-2003 08:56 PM