Old 02-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Tanya

Default root advice ASAP -- please

hello,
young phalaenopsis (being reRooted) 1 ot its 2.5 leaves is suddenly
yellowing i have no idea why... and i want to rePot in sphagnum (has
helped other ones i've had)
problems:
it has 2 VERY L.O.N.G. roots -- 1 ~ 7 inches the other is 6" (not sure
what is under the bark mix hopefully more and healthy roots)
the 2 roots are growing horizontally away from the pot in opposite
directions and i need to know whether these can be wound around (how
many times? [after getting them wet]) or whether to put it into a larger
pot?
it' in a 4" pot right now
thanks in advance

Old 04-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Tanya

thank you, Diana
it fit into a 5" pot
sincerely
Tanya

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Tanya,

Some plants are just plain ornery, aren't they? I would choose the new pot
size based on the larger root mass, and not the errant roots. If they
soften up enough to go into the new pot, so be it. if not, let them hang
out where they want to go.

For example, I have an Angrcm. sesquipedale with roots so long and
horizontal that it would take a 24" pot - minimum - to get all the roots in
the medium. So they are out of the pot, and when I water I make sure I give
them their share.

Hope this helps.

Diana