Old 22-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Default Flower stem not growing upwards?

So I've had my orchid for nearly a year and have noticed the new flowering stem is growing horizontally. It's only about 3cm long at this point and I don't have a clue what to do. Leave it and see what happens? Or trim it back and put a spike cane next to it? Thanks

Rachael
Old 22-03-2012, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:17:20 +0000, rmscott
wrote:

So I've had my orchid for nearly a year and have noticed the new
flowering stem is growing horizontally. It's only about 3cm long at this
point and I don't have a clue what to do. Leave it and see what happens?
Or trim it back and put a spike cane next to it? Thanks

Rachael

I let my orchids grow anyway they want. Roots grow upwards, stems grow
sideways. They still flower for me.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 22-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmscott View Post
So I've had my orchid for nearly a year and have noticed the new flowering stem is growing horizontally. It's only about 3cm long at this point and I don't have a clue what to do. Leave it and see what happens? Or trim it back and put a spike cane next to it? Thanks

Rachael
Check whether its a root or flower spikes. If its a flower spikes then place a small stake along side the flower spike and train it upright. If they are roots, then no need to worry. Good healthy roots are necessary for a good healthy plant and good flowering.
Fruit Trees