Old 04-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Wing

Default Dendrobium nobile identity

I recently purchased a yellow D. nobile? I know this species is exensivly
used in hybridisation so clues as to parentage would be interesting.
Somebody has supplied this one in quantity.

Please view on

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/e.bowden/nobile.htm

Sorry, - I cannot post to A.B.P.O as my ISP news server doesn't carry it. I
haven't found a free news server yet with the group that allows post and/or
carries more than 24 hours post.

Cheers

Wing

Old 04-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Wing

I do believe you could be right. I found the following based on that name.

http://www.dendrobium.net/Detail7.html

Cheers.

now all we need are the parents..

Wing

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
I also purchased one last summer which bloomed beautifully this spring
similiar to your picture. It came with the varietal name Okayama 'Gold
Harmony'. I don't know the parentage but would be interested in finding

out.

news

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
daniel bach

"Wing" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
I recently purchased a yellow D. nobile? I know this species is exensivly
used in hybridisation so clues as to parentage would be interesting.
Somebody has supplied this one in quantity.

Please view on

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/e.bowden/nobile.htm

I do have the same, I identified it as a Dendrobium Nobile "Stardust", could
it be that?

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Wing

I would agree that the flowers for this one (at least on some sites
visited ) appear correct. However the text \ photo on the following worries
me.

http://www.orchidcentral.net/nobile.html

as you can see that comes out as a miniture and mine certainly isn't. Plant
form on that photo reminds me more of D. parishii

Wing

Old 06-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 04 May 2003 20:08:56 GMT, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

I also purchased one last summer which bloomed beautifully this spring
similiar to your picture. It came with the varietal name Okayama 'Gold
Harmony'. I don't know the parentage but would be interested in finding out.

Den Okayama Gold is Den Midas x Den Yellow Ribbon registered in
1992 by J. Yamamoto. There is no registration of a clone
'Harmony.' Someone who enjoys a particular plant, but has no
award can name his/her clone without a record being made of the
clone name. Unless a plant wins an award we do not normally know
someone has named a clone.

There is no registration of a Den. nobile clone with a name of
Gold Harmony; Or with the clone name of Stardust.

Den Stardust is Den unicum x Den Ukon. Stardust is 50% unicum,
25% moniliforme, 12.5% nobile, 6.5% signatum and 6.5% aureum also
known as heterocarpum - now you can use
http://www.orchidspecies.com/ to look at them or find out more
about the parents of your hybrid.

Den Okayama Gold is a more involved hybrid. It goes thru several
other hybrids. But the species involved are 49.37% nobile,
21.58% signatum, 21.73% aureum also known as heterocarpum;
5.27% regium; .98% hildebrandii (signatum), .83 % of moniliforme,
and finally .24 % findlayanum. If you remember our discussion of
genes you know it is likely some of the smaller % represent
species that were selected out during the cross breeding. But
the species will be available to research at
http://www.orchidspecies.com/ .

Proving that you have this particular hybrid out of the hundreds
of plants that similarly have nobile style growth or flowers is a
different matter entirely.

SuE

Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Wing

I think I know am satisfied that I made the right decision to stick to true
species where possible. i will enjoy the plant for what it is and give up
chasing I think.
Seems the "nobile" in this case probably means cf. nobile group... though
okayama has it still quite strong.

Thanks for the info

Wing

wrote:

[...]

Dendrobium nobile 'Harfield Hall' X 2 P Max Orchid Photos 0 30-11-2006 12:29 PM
Dendrobium nobile question Lisa Orchids 2 12-04-2005 07:57 PM
Dendrobium Nobile Jim Orchids 3 31-10-2003 10:32 PM
Dendrobium Nobile keikeis Bill L Orchids 1 10-10-2003 09:02 PM
seeking pic of Dendrobium Nobile var cooksonianium Kevin Orchids 2 21-08-2003 01:42 AM