Old 18-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Orchid repotting

Hi,

This is my first thread, and I need to warn you that I'm not at all green-fingered, but I'm trying!

A year and a half ago I was given a purple orchid. I'm not even sure what type of orchid it is, but it's of average size (I imagine) and is potted in some sort of bark mix. It has NEVER stopped flowering and growing, and I've really come to like it.

At the moment it has less flowers than usual, and it's roots seem to be coming out of the pot. I was simply going to buy some orchid potting mix online and put it in a bigger pot, but I was given another orchid (again, purple, but this time it's very small) and it's potted in a totally different thing; it looks very mossy, so I didn't want to buy the wrong one.

I then went to ask in garden centre, and the man there told me that it should be in a clear pot which totally threw me!

Please can somebody help - I just don't know what to do, and I don't want to kill this beautiful plant!
Old 25-11-2012, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 11/18/2012 12:56 PM, yellowgreentree wrote:
[...]

Thinking of which orchids show up in garden centers, the fact that it is
purple makes me guess that you have a Dendrobium. See if your flowers
look pretty similar to this:
http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...purple-ace.jpg

Also note the shape of the unopened bud in that picture. That is very
typical of Dendrobiums and not other common orchids.

If you can confirm that you have Dendrobiums, don't be in a hurry to
move to a bigger pot. They do better in a small pot, even if some of the
roots have to grow out of the pot. Your 2nd plant is growing in sphagnum
moss. Some orchids do well in that. I'm sure some people grow their
Dendrobiums just fine in moss. Personally, I wouldn't. You'll find a lot
of garden center orchids in the moss and the main reason is that it is
very light weight and cheap to ship from grower to the store.

A second though: Now that I read your original message again, the fact
that it has never stopped flowering swings me more toward it being a
Phalaenopsis. Maybe yours looks closer to this shape:
http://spacegurrrl.files.wordpress.c...sis-orchid.jpg

A Phalaenopsis can take a bigger pot and they actually do fine in
sphagnum as well. When you repot, take away most of the old medium (moss
or bark) and pull off any dead mushy roots before you pot it back up.
The only thing a clear pot would do for you is to let you see if new
roots are growing AND to let you see if there are still beads of
moisture down in the pot. That might keep you from watering too often
and rotting off all the lower roots.
Good luck.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Heard them say that the clear pot allows sunlight to get to the roots. Not
sure why that would be a help, but the pots that I have seen for sale are
all clear.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Location: mumbai

orchid is a very useful flower....
Old 14-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Many variety of pots are used for orchids like net pots, clear plastic, pots with a net basket, pots with bi-level drainage and wooden baskets. Clear plastic are used to allow light to reach the roots and enables you to observe root growth. Carefully replant your plant into a slightly larger pot or suitable container, using the suitable porous media with good drainage system. Be careful while repotting your orchid plant, check for the roots if they are white then it is fine if not remove the damaged and dead roots. Know more about orchid houseplant care
Fruit Trees

repotting. Buridan Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 10:03 PM
[IBC] Trunk chop and repotting Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 30-01-2003 12:36 PM
Trunk chop and repotting ss Bonsai 2 30-01-2003 05:37 AM
Repotting Phalanopsis Greg Orchids 5 26-01-2003 05:09 AM