GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   repotting phalanopsis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/2063-repotting-phalanopsis.html)

Carolyn LeCrone 27-02-2003 03:53 AM

repotting phalanopsis

I can't pass up a bargain and now have several very healthy looking plants -
not blooming- that have many aerial roots. How do I handle the LONG roots
that are above the soil line? It would take a gigantic pot to hold them.
Have I let them go too long?
Thanks,
Carolyn

Jim Landers 27-02-2003 06:55 PM

repotting phalanopsis

I'd just let them grow, Carolyn. Sometimes when you repot you can tuck some
in the pot without breaking them; but if not, they'll be fine "hanging out".

Fred Garvin 28-02-2003 12:19 AM

repotting phalanopsis

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:53:51 -0500, Jim Landers wrote:

I'd just let them grow, Carolyn. Sometimes when you repot you can tuck
some in the pot without breaking them; but if not, they'll be fine
"hanging out".

I agree. To me, Phal roots are very interesting to watch grow. Just let
them do their thing!

Bob Walsh 28-02-2003 01:45 AM

repotting phalanopsis

Carolyn,

They are less apt to break if well moistened 10 or 15 minutes before
repotting, whether going in the pot or out.

Bob

Jim Landers 28-02-2003 02:15 PM

repotting phalanopsis

Interesting point, Bob. This never occurred to me. How do you moisten them,
use a Qtip or spray bottle? And does this permit you to get longer roots in

Bob Walsh 28-02-2003 04:51 PM

repotting phalanopsis

Jim,

At least a spray bottle or a soak. Getting them to "green up" as when you
water them will make them more pliable.

You can probably get more of the airial roots in the pot then, but it is
definately better for those already in the mix. Whether the airial roots
will adapt to in pot culture is another topic for discussion.

Bob