Old 27-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Carolyn LeCrone

Default repotting phalanopsis

I can't pass up a bargain and now have several very healthy looking plants -
not blooming- that have many aerial roots. How do I handle the LONG roots
that are above the soil line? It would take a gigantic pot to hold them.
Have I let them go too long?
Thanks,
Carolyn

Old 27-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Jim Landers

I'd just let them grow, Carolyn. Sometimes when you repot you can tuck some
in the pot without breaking them; but if not, they'll be fine "hanging out".

Old 28-02-2003, 12:19 AM
Fred Garvin

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:53:51 -0500, Jim Landers wrote:

I'd just let them grow, Carolyn. Sometimes when you repot you can tuck
some in the pot without breaking them; but if not, they'll be fine
"hanging out".

I agree. To me, Phal roots are very interesting to watch grow. Just let
them do their thing!
Old 28-02-2003, 01:45 AM
Bob Walsh

Carolyn,

They are less apt to break if well moistened 10 or 15 minutes before
repotting, whether going in the pot or out.

Bob

news

Old 28-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Jim Landers

Interesting point, Bob. This never occurred to me. How do you moisten them,
use a Qtip or spray bottle? And does this permit you to get longer roots in

Old 28-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Bob Walsh

Jim,

At least a spray bottle or a soak. Getting them to "green up" as when you
water them will make them more pliable.

You can probably get more of the airial roots in the pot then, but it is
definately better for those already in the mix. Whether the airial roots
will adapt to in pot culture is another topic for discussion.

Bob

Old 03-03-2003, 01:07 AM
Carolyn LeCrone

Thanks for your replies expertice.
Carolyn
"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
.net...
Jim,

At least a spray bottle or a soak. Getting them to "green up" as when you
water them will make them more pliable.

You can probably get more of the airial roots in the pot then, but it is
definately better for those already in the mix. Whether the airial roots
will adapt to in pot culture is another topic for discussion.

Bob

** SICK Phalanopsis.. can someone tell me what's wrong .. see pic. ** David Sussman Orchids 11 01-09-2004 02:21 PM
repotting. Buridan Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 09:03 PM
[IBC] Trunk chop and repotting Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 30-01-2003 11:36 AM
Trunk chop and repotting ss Bonsai 2 30-01-2003 04:37 AM
Repotting Phalanopsis Greg Orchids 5 26-01-2003 04:09 AM