Old 27-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Jeanne Kokx

Default Advice for an Orchid Loving Northerner

I am a newcomer to orchid growing and live in Minnesota. I have appreciated
the tips that have been given by other northerners. Most of the
information I get from books assume a more southerly latitude. So I need
some advice. In the winter, when the sun is low, is it safe to grow orchids
(such as cattleyas) on a windowsill in full sun? I had a few orchids last
winter and followed the light requirements but suspected the orchids weren't
getting enough rays (like me) so this winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) I didn't shield
them from the sun. They seem to be doing fine. But up to now I haven't
gotten any of them to bloom. There is one possible exception - I have a
dendrobium (bought from Home Depot, and naturally mislabeled but still a
really nice plant) of the phalaenopsis type that seems to be putting out a
flower spike. That leads into the next question. Should I move this plant
out of the full sun or leave it there? I don't want to shock the plant by
moving it, but with the sun starting to get higher and the windowsill
getting hotter I am afraid that the flower buds might shrivel and die. If I
can get this orchid to flower I am sure you all know what a dangerous thing
that will be.

Old 27-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

If the exposure to the puny wintertime "full sun" is not burning them,
you're doing great. You might want to do what you can to raise the humidity
though, as that's likely to play more of a role - that and cold drafts from
windows and hot, dry blasts from heaters - in bud blasting. If it's a
south-facing window, you might back the phal off a bit, but don't change the
conditions too drastically.
--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 28-02-2003, 03:18 AM
Dave Short

[...]

Before I got smart and moved to California, I lived just east of Duluth.

I had a large, south-facing window only slightly shaded by bare trees. I
ran an ultrasonic humidifier in that corner, but not directly on the plants.
I doubtlessly abused them, but the only ones that wouldn't bloom were the
cymbidiums. Too warm inside; way too cold outside.

Shade loving plants? JB Australia 1 31-03-2003 02:32 AM
Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds David Hare-Scott Australia 8 29-03-2003 01:56 PM
Shade loving plants? brainspace Australia 4 28-03-2003 07:32 PM
Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds David Hare-Scott Australia 6 27-03-2003 01:44 PM
Need shade loving flowering vine - NC Robert Gray Gardening 7 10-03-2003 03:45 AM