Old 27-02-2003, 04:53 AM
Elpaninaro

Default Anyone use a space heater in home for warm growing orchids?

Good evening all,

In search of a small space heater that can be used at a very low setting to
keep orchids in the immediate vicinity in the 80 degree range while the rest of
the apartment is running around 68 degrees. I found the below model on the net
for $23.99- just the most basic small unit.

Model DFH 132 DeLonghi fan Heater

Anyone else ever used something like this? Would even the smallest space heater
(what this is) be overkill? Alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Take care,

Tom.

Old 27-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Gene Schurg

Tom,

If you use an electric heater like this remember to do something to add
humidity too.

Keeping a specific area 80 degrees while the surrounding area is 68 will be
difficult unless you have the plant area enclosed.

What are you growing that requires that kind of heat?

Good growing,
Gene

Old 27-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Gene Schurg

Tom,

I was thinking more about this and was wondering if one of those heat mats
manufactured for heating flats of seedlings for the garden would meet your
needs. This would limit the heat to the root zone.

These are available from all the big seed companies (Burpee, Parks, etc) and
from Charlies Greenhouse Supply.

Gene

Old 28-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Karen

Tom.

I am currently using a space heater, here in Wisconsin. I grow in a sun
room and it gets too cold

Currently I'm using a Honeywell space heater and it does help. For next
winter I would like to find something with a bit more output, as I think
I need more output (especially when it get below zero here).
But the space heater has helped tremendously.

My only complaint is that I have discovered that I will also have to
bump up my electrical panel box to handle the output. Since I also use a
HID light and a humidifier in that room, the heater is plugged outside
of it and I have to use an extension cord for the heater.

Karen

Old 02-03-2003, 05:15 AM
Elpaninaro

My only complaint is that I have discovered that I will also have to
bump up my electrical panel box to handle the output. Since I also use a
HID light and a humidifier in that room, the heater is plugged outside
of it and I have to use an extension cord for the heater.

This is my concern Karen. I already have one two socket outlet hosting 6 light
fixtures and soon a heating pad for seedlings. Hence the extra demand would be
too much for the system.

I think I will see if the heating pad works first and go from there. Cross your
fingers!

Thanks to all for the input on this here and in the other thread. I have,
thanks to your guidance, found some good solutions and possible consequences to
be aware of.

Tom.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:32 PM
John Mallery

You may want to visit www.charleysgreenhouse.com - they list some space
heater options and also sell a thermostat for portable space heaters.

Old 10-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Elpaninaro

You may want to visit www.charleysgreenhouse.com - they list some space
heater options and also sell a thermostat for portable space heaters.

John- Thank you for this website. As of last week I have already ordered my
seedling mat from Burpee, but the site you reference has quite a few other
things I have been looking for like humidity trays, straight perlite, and a
faucet adaptable watering hose.

Take care,

Tom.