GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Relating orchids to asparagus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/20986-relating-orchids-asparagus.html)

Dewitt 06-05-2003 04:56 PM

Relating orchids to asparagus

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/06/sc...053223336&ei=1

An Orchid by Any Other Name: An Asparagus?
By CAROL KAESUK YOON

Orchids can be elegant, gaudy, lurid and even downright bizarre. But
while the unusual flowers of these species have excited plant lovers
for centuries, they have also made it difficult for evolutionary
biologists to place them in the plant family tree and identify their
closest relatives.

But now, scientists say, studies of the DNA of orchids are revealing a
host of surprises, chief among them, that orchids are actually part of
the asparagus group, closer kin to these vegetables than to the other,
flashier, flowering plants they had been placed with before.

deg

Diana Kulaga 06-05-2003 07:32 PM

Relating orchids to asparagus

You beat me to the punch. I read that article. If I find the time I'll
also post the content of a recent NYTimes editorial about orchids - very
thoughtful.

As to today's piece, I guess we knew that orchids turned US into vegetables.
Now maybe we know why........

Diana