Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Alison

Default what orchids could I grow?

I've been researching what might grow in the conditions I have, &
wondered if some more experienced growers might have some suggestions.
I have only limited space, with a south bay window. It's not shaded;
the sun is too high to shine right on the plants in the middle of
summer but does the rest of the year. Others in the house would
object to a sheer curtain cutting off their view
Day temps are 70-80+ depending on time of year, & nights are 60ish.
Humidity in the house is 50-60ish, & the window is right over the
kitchen sink so that probably helps. It sounds like I could grow
vandas or relatives, but they'd have to be smaller ones (not more than
2 feet). I currently have a brassia, an ascocentrum, a dendrobium & a
doritaenopsis in that window. They all seem to be content there
although I worry about the dtps getting too much sun. It's starting a
spike though.
I was looking at Onc. Sharry Baby, but how big does that get?
Could I grow a beallara?
There is also a corner inside a south-facing frosted glass door, but I
don't think the air circulation is very good, & I don't know if the
night temperature drops much in the summer. It's quite cool in the
winter. I would rather have the plants in the window than in a corner

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks!

Alison
Old 06-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Alison,

I think the beallara would suffer from the bright conditions and
temperatures. Ascocendas might be a good choice, with Ascocenda Su-Fun
Beauty 'Orange Belle' AM/AOS
(http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_or...20Beauty%20Ora
nge%20Belle%20AMAOS.jpg) being a good example of a nice compact plant. The
Princess Mikasa clones are also quite nice and bloom when small.

Encyclias might be a good idea, too, and mini-catts.

Look at it this way - you're missing the scorching mid-day sun in the
summer, but the sun will be lower on the horizon in the winter, so stuff
that likes it bright ought to do well. If they don't get quite enough sun
in the summer, move 'em outside!

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

om...

Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Dave Sheehy

Alison ) wrote:
[...]

Your environment sounds a lot like mine except my window is faces east.
I still get lots of light since I'm in sunny central California. I have a
Vanda that has bloomed consecutively for at least 5 years, a Phalaenopsis
that is spiking right now (its leaves are tinged red so its definitely at
the upper end of its light regime), a couple of Cattleyas that bloom
regularly in the warm season (one's got a big fat bud that's about to
open any day now), and a Den. thyrsiflorum that's bloomed that last 2 years.
Those are my older orchids that I've had for more than a few years that
have consistently bloomed. I have an Encyclia bractensis that I got 2 or
3 years ago as a single bulb in a 1" pot that has grown to a half dozen or
so bulbs but has not bloomed yet so far (although the vendor who sold it
to me said that it should have bloomed the following season) so I don't
know what's up with it.

I have a bunch of newer orchids that I haven't had long enough for them to
bloom yet but are all growing very well for me so far. They include an
Ascocenda, another Vanda, an Aerangis luteo-alba rhodosticta, a Brassia
verrucosa, a Den. hercoglossum, Laelia lucasiana, an Ionocidium, Encyclia
adenocaula, and a couple of Cat. hybrid seedlings.

Someone posted a link to Everglades Orchids (www.evergladesorchids.com) a
month or so ago and I've been eyeing some of their warmth tolerant
Oncidiinae so you might look there for some ideas.

Dave

: