Old 28-02-2003, 03:07 AM
Dave Lockwood

Default Advice on fertilizer injectors

I humbly ask for advice. I just got a new paper catalog from Charley's
Greenhouses. In it they list two fertilizer injectors (if you don't count
the non-adjustable educter). Does anyone use these? One costs about $70
and the other about $350. Is one really 5 times as good as the other? What
do you use?
Thanks
Dave

Old 28-02-2003, 03:20 AM
Gene Schurg

Dave,

I went through this last fall. Several folks recommended the $300+ injector
models. They are precise (or better than the siphon type). I haven't put
out the money for one of these yet. I really want something that can be put
on the end of a hose and not perminantly plumbed. I believe one of them
offer this feature.

I have a Dramm SiphonJect type of fertilzer injector. The problem with it
is that the water break tends to slow the water and reduces the pressure to
the point were the mix is not sucked into the hose.

For the winter I have resorted to a 32 gallon trash can where I can fill it
with warm water. I drop a sump pump into the trash can and pump the mix to
the plants. I already had the sump pump so the cost was just $12 trash can.
Here in the DC area the cold water is really cold. I did not choose to have
hot water plumbed into the greenhouse so I have to fill the can with water
from the sink (10 feet away). The water from the sink does not generate
enough pressure to make the SiphonJect pull the fertilizer into the hose.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 28-02-2003, 05:31 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 02:01:40 GMT, "Dave Lockwood"
wrote:

I humbly ask for advice. I just got a new paper catalog from Charley's
Greenhouses. In it they list two fertilizer injectors (if you don't count
the non-adjustable educter). Does anyone use these? One costs about $70
and the other about $350. Is one really 5 times as good as the other? What
do you use?
Thanks
Dave

Yes!! We ordered the lower cost one because it said it had some
of the features. You might as well stick to the syphon jet junk.
We called and read the catalog description and the packaging
description and said we are sending this back. It does not match
the advertisement and we want the 350 one. John put a hose clamp
around it to stick it to the end of the bench at a convenient
level. We have quick disconnects on the intake and water. We
water with "grow" fertilizer 3 weeks and "bloom" the 4th. Put
the concentration in a gallon milk jug or juice bottle and you
only have to mix it every once in a while (how big is your
collection). Quick disconnects and we have the same hose on the
water tap for hand washing.

Definitely worth the cost. Every penny.

SuE
Old 28-02-2003, 06:05 AM
Dewitt

wrote:

I humbly ask for advice. I just got a new paper catalog from Charley's
Greenhouses. In it they list two fertilizer injectors (if you don't count
the non-adjustable educter). Does anyone use these? One costs about $70
and the other about $350. Is one really 5 times as good as the other? What
do you use?

If by the $70 one you mean the E-Z Gro Automatic Fertilization System,
it is definitely not suitable for greenhouse watering. The fertilizer
concentration varies greatly when the water is stopped / started and
water is continually added to the concentrated fertilizer in the tank.
They claim the added water floats on top of the fertilizer solution so
it doesn't really change the output fertilizer concentration. Yeah,
right. Also, it is damn near impossible to determine how much
fertilizer to add to the tank to get a particular output
concentration.

If after reading the above you really want one, then send me email and
we can work something out on the one I have.

deg
Old 28-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Dave Lockwood

Wow! The jury is definitely in. Seems you do get what you pay for. Thanks
to all who gave the benefit of their experience. I guess I'll just save up
for a good one. - Dave

Old 28-02-2003, 07:07 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I'll be the lone dissenter - I bought a hozon syphoner and am quite happy
with it. Has a fixed 16:1 ratio and 1 gallon of concentrate is perfect for
my greenhouse / collection. It was definitely cheaper than both of these -
maybe $20? The $70 one from Charley's does appear to be a bit on the junky
side...

For my light table in the basement, I do the sump pump thing as Gene
mentioned - works quiet well as well and is again much less than $350 even
if u have to buy the pump, trash can, hose and attachments.

Oh and I did plumb both hot and cold water out to my greenhouse and put a
laundry tub type faucet at the end.

All that said, I do have 100+ psi straight out of the tap, not sure how well
the syphoners work with lower pressure. Had to get a regulator and drop it
down to 40 psi or so for my fogger otherwise the float valve stayed stuck
shut.

I'd only do the $350 thing if I had a large greenhouse or had extra $$ but
with extra $$, why not buy more plants?

Jerry

Old 28-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I used the Siphonex injector for years and was quite happy with it. As long
as your water pressure is stable, the amount of back-pressure (resistance to
flow) downstream is low and constant, you will get quite reliable metering -
it is a law of physics.

However if, as I do for mounted plants, you ever water with a misting head,
forget it. The pressure drop across the venturi in the injector will be
insufficient and the ration with change drastically - possibly all the way
to zero.

I don't know the $70 Charlies type (I pitch those catalogs when they come
in - they're too expensive and the stuff can usually be obtained easily
elsewhere), but anything that injects water into your concentrate tank is
bound to vary in concentration (that's a lot of the problem with the Miracle
Grow-type hose end devices).

Considering the investment in the plants themselves, and the fact that this
is a long-term obsession, spending several hundred dollars for a reliable,
accurate injector seems worthwhile. I have two - a Dosmatic and a
Dosatron - and they continue to work perfectly since being installed about
3-4 years ago.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 28-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Wendy

Dave, can't help you decide on the "Dos" $$$ type injectors but I have
used an under pressure tank type deal (has a leak & don't have the brand
name?)
I use the $11 brass syphon type for the garden. (The fert delivery changes
depending on pressure flow)
To me the barrel & sump pump is the most reliable:-
1.... What you pump is what your plants get.
2.....The barrel is in my g/h so the water is warmer.
3......I was told that the chlorine dissipates from the water if stored for
24 hours?
My hubby did the electrical switch for the pump etc. I use a stick to push
the switch on & off! (safety)
I set up ½" pvc for incoming water to the barrel & the ½" black drip type
pipe, from the pump up & out
to the hose connection. Also have a ¼" back flow drip pipe so if I lessen
the flow to a small
plant then there is no strain on the pump. (I have had the same pump since
'95)
The cost was under $100 but this was back then.
Cheers Wendy

Old 28-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

yup, if you don't keep the flow up, it doesn't work. I don't use it w/ my
mister for the hanging stuff - they just get fertilized when the potted
plants get it - straight water otherwise. I also tried one of those squeeze
on / off valves for my wand with it - no good, too much restriction. Also
tried a coil hose, same problem so there are some issues but in my situation
,works great!

Old 03-03-2003, 02:39 PM
TRAINMAN9

For years we used a device called a Merit Commander Fertilizer Injector. I'm
not sure where it was purchased from but it had a plastic cylinder with a
piston inside. It would draw up the fertilizer solution, very concentrated, and
inject it into the flow of water. It operated at very low water pressure and
could be used with our overhead misting system.