Old 02-03-2003, 01:15 AM
tausting

Default when to water repots?

Hi everyone. Theresa here. I just repotted 2 of my orchids today. One is
a Shery Baby Onc. that has gotten to the point it needed a bigger pot.
It just started putting out new roots. But, also a new flower stalk.
Just starting. The other is some no name Catt. that stays small enough
to keep in a coffee mug. This is grown only in water. Its been in this
mug for over a year. Does fine, lots of real nice roots, I just want it
potted up. Everything I read says don't water for about 2 weeks to let
any damaged roots heal. Well, what about that catt. that has been
growing in water? Anybody here ever pot up a plant that has been growing
in water? Thanks for any info. Theresa

Old 02-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

You're probably going to have a bit more of a tough time with the catt, as
the roots it has are used to growing in water, so have developed cells that
are better at holding water out than taking it in.

If it is growing new roots, I would actually suggest watering it a bit
heavier than you might otherwise do, tapering off to a normal rate over a
few weeks.

This is sort of the opposite of going from regular medium to
semi-hydroponics, but if you read what I've posted at
http://www.firstrays.com/roots_and_culture.htm, you'll see where I'm coming
from.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids