Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Mick Fournier

Default Identify this Schomburgkia and win a colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible

This Schomburgkia was in bloom in April in Florida. The coloration in the
flower was a bit more red than violet as this photo is depicting.

Do you know what species it is? Click on:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...urgkiaunk1.jpg

Mick

Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Gene Schurg

Mick,

Could it be Schomburgkia lueddemaniana?

Gene

Old 12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Mick Fournier

Gene,

I don't think that's it...
This is a Schomburgkia lueddemanniana
http://orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/schomlehmannii.jpg

Mick

rthlink.net...

Old 13-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Gene Schurg

You said it was more red

Old 13-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Gene Schurg

Mick

How do you know it was a species?

Old 13-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Mick Fournier

Eric,

Bravo. I do believe you have have identified it correctly as Myrmecophilia
exaltata. These flowers were on the end of 6 foot spikes and the ants were
living in the hollowed out pseudobulbs as detailed in the genus description.

Originally I thought it might be a Schomburgkia tibicinis but I was not
sure.

It was jungle collected many years ago from Guatemala so your ID sounds
good.

Thanks

Mick

-----------------------------------

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Myrmecophilia exaltata?

http://www.orchidspecies.com/myrexaltata.htm

-Eric in SF

Old 13-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Eric Hunt

Mick,

So what's my colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible
prize?

=)

Here's Myrmecophilia tibicinis:

http://www.erichunt.com/images/orchids/OM/IMG0067.jpg

I believe one diagnostic characteristic of this species is the banana shaped
pseudobulbs. All of ours at OrchidMania (I believe we have three kicking
around in the warm greenhouse) are slightly to strongly curved/sickle
shaped.

-Eric in SF

. ..

Old 13-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Eric,

Hmmm.... that part must have gotten truncated off the first post as I see
now.

It was suppose to read 1000 "Attaboys" as the prize.

Attaboy Eric.

Mick

-----------------------------------

Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Mick Fournier

Attagirl.

Old 14-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Elpaninaro

Bravo. I do believe you have have identified it correctly as Myrmecophilia
exaltata. These flowers were on the end of 6 foot spikes and the ants were
living in the hollowed out pseudobulbs as detailed in the genus description.

I agree.

As far as I know, about 15 years ago I was the first person to make a selfing
cross of exaltata to spread around (from a plant I got from Gene May who
collected a specimen on one of his trips) and this is exactly what it looked
like. I sent the flasks off to Bill Bergstrom when they became too much to
manage and that's all she wrote. He still has some for sale.

Nice plant. A lot of mine were not quite as intensely colored as yours.

Tom.
Old 14-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Mick Fournier

Tom,

I have 3 selfing pods going on it now... so we will see what happens with
it.

Mick
------------------------------
..

Old 15-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Elpaninaro

Gene May of 'May and Craig Orchids' in Houston? He's the guy I
bought my first orchids from in the late 1970's. I also bought a
staghorn fern from him for for my sister. As we left, she commented,
"I thought I was going to have to sign adoption paper." Good guy.

That is him! Unfortunately he passed away a few months ago, and he will be
dearly missed.

For those who did not know him, Gene May was a very wild and crazy kind of guy-
seemingly abrupt, but actually very kind and keenly interested in making sure
his customers were happy with their plants.

He also collected some amazing plants in his travels. He had a whole population
of exaltata going, and he had a bench full of C. araguianensis back when people
were clamoring to pay $100 for a back bulb division.

Culture was incredible too. He had many huge specimens- too large to bring to
judging- that were just perfect, not a scratch or bug on them.

Tom.