GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hello from the UK! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/22218-hello-uk.html)

Brian Woodward 13-05-2003 08:44 AM

Hello from the UK!

I am an Orchid Widower! My girlfriend loves Orchids and at the last count
has 15 or so. I joke she only spends a little time per week on her plants.
However She has a wonderful book on orchids by Brian and Wilma Rittershausen
from Bennetts near Bovey Tracey, UK.

She has learned loads from this but is looking for something that has more
to offer, thought you guys might have some suggestions so I can come up with
a gift for her birthday!!

All the best

Brian

Ray @ First Rays Orchids 13-05-2003 10:57 AM

Hello from the UK!

HAH!!! You have only BEGUN to lose her to the evil plants!

A few suggestions:

Botanica's Orchids ISBN 1-57145-721-6
The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids ISBN 0-88192-267-6
The RHS Manual of Orchids ISBN 0-88192-334-6

That last one is in black and white only, but is a help in identifying
species.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Cardigan 14-05-2003 04:56 AM

Hello from the UK!

If only I had a boyfriend like you . . . :-)

Do you have a local orchid nursery? If so, how about a nice lunch out, a
trip to the nursery, and a plant or two of her choice?

If you don't have a local nursery, you could buy her a plant by mail order.
I'm a relative newbie, too, and I've had great success with phalenopsis and
phragmipediums. You could also check out http://orchid-society-gb.com/ (the
web site for the Orchid Society of Great Britain) or look through "Growing
Orchids" (I have it, too) to get other ideas.

Good luck, Brian!

Sarah

Take off the sweater to reply.