Old 20-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Black Haired Dendrobiums

Last night I saw a different looking dendrobium Judith Hakayama. It looked
like someone took two large white catt blossoms and grafted them on top of
the cane of the dendrobium. Each flower was about 5 inches across. A large
plant of this in bloom would be quite a show!

This is one of the negrohirusute (Black Haired) orchids. In my collection
I have Frosty Dawn that has been is spectacular bloom since mid February and
still making a great show. Frosty Dawn has proven simple to grow. The only
problem is it gets tall and I tend to knock it over if I'm not careful.

Does anyone have other members of this interesting group of Dendrobiums that
have impressed them? I'd like to get a couple more but can't decide which
ones to look for.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 20-05-2003, 10:44 PM
K Barrett

I have steadfastly stayed away from Dendrobiums becasue some require rests,
and only bloom on bare canes, and it seemed like too much work to try to
keep all that in my head.

Nevertheless a few have crept into my collection, the most interesting of
which is Den sanderae var major. A very large white flower with a dark rose
lip (with stripes IIRC) on what will eventually be a tall cane. Andy's
Orchids may have a few for sale. The lip comes in a variety of darknesses.

K Barrett

link.net...

Old 20-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Gene,

I have loads of Dends, and one of the hirsute varieties, Hiroshi Tokunaga
(D. infindibulum x D. Dawn Marie), which is currently in bloom. Your
description of the flower is perfect! I got this at the Ft. Lauderdale show
about three years ago. It has thrown off a couple of keikis which have yet
to bloom.

The majority of my Dends are in rock or aliflor, but this one seems to care
more for a CHC based mix.

I'll see if I have a photo on my disk, to post on abpo. If not, I'll try to
get at the camera tomorrow.

Diana

Old 22-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Gene,

Posting that picture in 60 seconds.

Diana

link.net...

Old 23-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Gene Schurg

Thanks for posting it Diana!

It looks great. I have to watch for more of these dendrobiums. They seem
to all be beautiful.

Gene

hlink.net...

Old 23-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Diane Mancino

I just acquired a Green Lantern Den that is in this "black hair" group from
the raffle table at our OS meeting. 2 old blooms left, i didn't think much
till i got it home and started reading up on it. 3 canes on this one- don't
know how big it gets, only that It will bloom 2x a year and the bloom is
nice- the fragrance has faded
http://www.clanorchids.com/culture/txt002.htm

http://www.alohaorchid.com/orchid/De...dendrobium.htm

A noble type which is new for me- it is sitting in a s/e window where it
gets a few hours morning sun. Still with blooms , so I'm not repotting. I
get confused as to which Dend needs to rest, & temp requirements- I'm just
grouping all the Dends together on the windowsill where they can get some
sun and less watering, and keep from falling over- need a better pot I think
& will start using plant tags to label plant care

Diane

Old 23-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Diane Mancino

If Aloha orchids charges $20 for a 4", I won a really nice prize! The OS
meetings are definitely the best way to acquire mature plants at a
reasonable price. Usually comes with live conversation and growing advice